Freezer door closer???

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Freezer door closer???

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:04 pm

Anybody ever heard of anything similar to this? I really need some sort of a spring type freezer door closing device that I can install on my upright freezer out in the garage. I looked at temerature alarms, which in theory could work, but my garage is detatched from the house and I'm afraid I wont hear it go off. The problem is that somebody, I wont name names but, someone under the age of 13 keeps going out to the garage to get something out of the freezer and isnt making sure the door is shut when they walk off.

Luckily when I went out to leave for hunting this morning at 0430 everything still felt really frozen. My last package of salmon was about half thawed so I guess thats what I'm having for dinner tonight. The kids just arent getting my point that the freezer is holding several hundred dollars worth of food.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Re: Freezer door closer???

Postby assateague » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:08 pm

How about a bungee cord and two screws on the top and on top of the door? If you put a short one close to the hinge, it would be easy enough to open, using the door as a "lever", and would most likely have enough "oomph" to close itself. If not, you could get a small commercial door closer and mount it on the roof/top of the door the same way. But a bungee cord is about 50 cents, and a door closer is about $30. We use bungee cords on all of our horse/barn gates. Works like a charm.
assateague

Postby Westie25 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:29 pm

Latch and a lock. My uncle did this to us as kids.
Westie25

Postby Goldfish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:11 pm

Turn the feet on the front of the fridge out so that the front is higher, thus making the door swing harder to shut? Do fridges still have those?
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:48 pm

Westie25 wrote:Latch and a lock. My uncle did this to us as kids.

I was about to say that too.

Sent using tapatalk
FlintRiverFowler

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:12 pm

Goldfish wrote:Turn the feet on the front of the fridge out so that the front is higher, thus making the door swing harder to shut? Do fridges still have those?

I maxed em out, still not enough. Guess my garage floor has a little slope to it, may need to shim the feet.

I also considered a locking hasp, but don't want to have to be the one to go out everytime somebody wants something.

The freezer is only 4 months old and I hate to run screws in it, but assa may be on the right track with the bungee.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:00 pm

Along the lines of a latch, just a hook and loop one. Doesn't need to have a lock on it, just a latch that they have to hook just for that added motion to make sure it's done.

But the bungee idea is a good one

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:12 pm

Goldfish wrote:Along the lines of a latch, just a hook and loop one. Doesn't need to have a lock on it, just a latch that they have to hook just for that added motion to make sure it's done.

sent from a phancy fone

Haha, ya I gotchya. The lock would be in the mindset of "if you can't remember to close it right, you can't get in there at all".
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:06 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Goldfish wrote:Turn the feet on the front of the fridge out so that the front is higher, thus making the door swing harder to shut? Do fridges still have those?

I maxed em out, still not enough. Guess my garage floor has a little slope to it, may need to shim the feet.

I also considered a locking hasp, but don't want to have to be the one to go out everytime somebody wants something.

The freezer is only 4 months old and I hate to run screws in it, but assa may be on the right track with the bungee.

You wouldn't be able to see them. You're an HVAC guy- I know you have about 3,000 self-tappers floating around everywhere. Grab a couple and slap them in the top. Good to go.
assateague

Postby assateague » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:08 pm

Better yet, get a longer, easier flex bungee (one of those "cloth" ones), and hook one end to the back of the freezer. Then you only have one small hole in the top of the door near the hinge. You get tired of it or want to sell it, get a plug and stick in the hole. They'll think it was something from the factory.
assateague

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:13 pm

Goldfish wrote:Along the lines of a latch, just a hook and loop one. Doesn't need to have a lock on it, just a latch that they have to hook just for that added motion to make sure it's done.

sent from a phancy fone

So you think a kid that won't close the door will start closing the door if he adds a latch? Goldie, do you have any kids? Are you an Engineer by chance Goldie? Just wondering.
QH's Paw

Postby assateague » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Yep, sorry Goldie, you need to dumb it down. Require them to do absolutely nothing to accomplish what you want- that's pretty much the way to go.
assateague

Postby blackrhino » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:41 am

assateague wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

You wouldn't be able to see them. You're an HVAC guy- I know you have about 3,000 self-tappers floating around everywhere. Grab a couple and slap them in the top. Good to go.

As one HVAC guy to another remember that most domestic upright freezers have the condenser coils inside the freezer skin so be careful running screws all willy nilly. That being said look in your Case Parts cataloge or Google Norton NOR-100 Door Closer that should do the trick.
blackrhino

Postby Goldfish » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:35 pm

QH's Paw wrote:So you think a kid that won't close the door will start closing the door if he adds a latch? Goldie, do you have any kids? Are you an Engineer by chance Goldie? Just wondering.

No kids, is it that obvious? :lol:

Not an engineer, but I oftentimes over think and over plan things to a ridiculous point.
Goldfish

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:17 pm

assateague wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Yup plenty of screws, and they are way better than the ones from the hardware store.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Return to The Blind