Waders

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Waders

Postby Bushape » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Need opinions on HARDCORE HEAVY DUTY waders!!! We dont have the plush pits to hunt we are all public ground. Its rough nasty stuff I burn through waders like no other. just went through 3rd set of Drake LST last year ( three in a season in a half)
"SHOOT FAST OR SHOOT LAST"
Bushape

Re: Waders

Postby Olly » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:51 pm

Cabelas waders with rip stop. I got the 1600 ones and they have been the best and toughest waders I've ever owned.

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Bufflehead » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:51 pm

something with the "armorflex" type outside
Bufflehead

Postby Bushape » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Olly wrote:Cabelas waders with rip stop. I got the 1600 ones and they have been the best and toughest waders I've ever owned.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks bro I actually had a pair a couple years ago but I blew a hole in the bottom of the boot on a stob last day of season instead of returning them I went to Hodgman.(They didnt last through the next season) I was just looking at the 1600's again earlier was even thinking about Macks or LaCrosse.
"SHOOT FAST OR SHOOT LAST"
Bushape

Postby obxbufflehead » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:02 pm

I was just going to get the Drake LST waders. What did you think about them. @Bufflehead Do you think they would be good for hunting marsh and open water around the outer banks?

Sent using Tapatalk
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:03 pm

I have the drake lst's and they are tuff as long as the seams hold up. I haven't had any problems just have heard of others busting leaks
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:03 pm

Bushape wrote:
Olly wrote:Cabelas waders with rip stop. I got the 1600 ones and they have been the best and toughest waders I've ever owned.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks bro I actually had a pair a couple years ago but I blew a hole in the bottom of the boot on a stob last day of season instead of returning them I went to Hodgman.(They didnt last through the next season) I was just looking at the 1600's again earlier was even thinking about Macks or LaCrosse.

They might have gotten better since you had a pair, the boots are extremely stout on mine.

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Bad17 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:16 pm

I have both the Mack's grand prairies and the drake lst's. no complaint on any of them. Neither leaked or tore. I hunt in brush and briars and in grass as well. No problems.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby Bulldog0156 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:45 pm

Simms. Best in the business.
Bulldog0156

Postby Goldfish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:56 pm

If you go thru them like that, why don't you get some brush pants that'll fit over them that have actual abrasion resistance? Send cheaper than 3 sets of waders in one year

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:56 pm

*seems cheaper

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Bad17 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Goldfish wrote:If you go thru them like that, why don't you get some brush pants that'll fit over them that have actual abrasion resistance? Send cheaper than 3 sets of waders in one year

sent from a phancy fone

That's a good idea
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby Bulldog0156 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:28 pm

Or you could buy some simms
Bulldog0156

Postby broccoli » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:35 pm

I have the Mack's 5mm neos and they have been great so far they have the seam sealer stuff on them. Got 2 seasons on them
broccoli

Postby assateague » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:24 pm

I'm going the opposite way as all the other advice. You know you go through them. Get cheap ones. Easier to stomach a cheap pair every year than a pricy pair every year, and for the most part they're all made by the same Chinaman, anyway. I have a pair of 5mm, 1500g Thinsulate Sportsman's Guide specials I have had for almost 6 years now (I think). No repairs, no leaks. They were $69. I guess they were cheap because they're Advantage camo instead of Max-4 or something cool and "waterfowly".
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:29 am

assateague wrote:I'm going the opposite way as all the other advice. You know you go through them. Get cheap ones. Easier to stomach a cheap pair every year than a pricy pair every year, and for the most part they're all made by the same Chinaman, anyway. I have a pair of 5mm, 1500g Thinsulate Sportsman's Guide specials I have had for almost 6 years now (I think). No repairs, no leaks. They were $69. I guess they were cheap because they're Advantage camo instead of Max-4 or something cool and "waterfowly".

I have the Rogers 5mm 1600s. 4th season with them and I hunt some of the nastiest stuff waders will see. I dont think it gets much worse than a swamp filled with saplings that are cut by beavers a few inches below the water level. I may be a little more careful though. I also have heard many complaints about Drakes seams pulling apart.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:18 am

I've been knocking on wood for the past few years, but my waders are some random brand that slapped remington across the front, and I've had them for near 10 years. Got them out of the gunsmiths truck in the Gander lot for all of $25 or something like that. They are a woodland pattern. In all fairness, the first 7 years they probably only got wore a hand full of times, but they are still old and only now I think that a seam is leaking in the crotch. Either that or I'm getting old and can't hold it as well as I used to when I see birds coming. I'll figure it out at some point here and throw some sealer on them and keep using them.
Goldfish

Return to The Blind