Boat motors are the devil

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Boat motors are the devil

Postby broccoli » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:50 pm

Any of y'all ever wanted to just unbolt your motor and let it fall in the river? I have that feeling about mine I can't keep the damn thing running for more than a couple days at te time it seems like
broccoli

Re: Boat motors are the devil

Postby jehler » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:11 pm

Boooomerang!
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:59 pm

Mine always runs, but I never trust it. Every time I take it out (even when I remember to put gas in it) I think there's a pretty good chance it'll crap the bed and I'll end up in England.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:25 pm

Tohastsu? Can't remember
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:26 pm

I have a 50s model 5hp that I could never get running again after it went in the drink. Now it sits in the corner of the garage.

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:26 pm

Mine says Nissan, but yep, same thing. I think my irrational fear is because the boat is so small. Being adrift on big water in something comfortable is one thing, being adrift in a 7 and a half foot homemade boat is another thing entirely.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:49 pm

I always keep my fingers crossed that the day never comes that it leaves me 5 - 7 miles down stream from the launch.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby broccoli » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:36 pm

Mine keeps shearing pins and the flu wheel but keeps backing off for the life of me I can figure out why. It's a Tohatsu
broccoli

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:38 pm

broccoli wrote:Mine keeps shearing pins and the flu wheel but keeps backing off for the life of me I can figure out why. It's a Tohatsu

upgrade your shearpin to a SS bolt. Problem solved.... maybe.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:42 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
broccoli wrote:Mine keeps shearing pins and the flu wheel but keeps backing off for the life of me I can figure out why. It's a Tohatsu

upgrade your shearpin to a SS bolt. Problem solved.... maybe.

:lol: problem solved if your faster at swapping gears than a shear pin
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NaturalCamoFacePaint » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:35 am

Have you all beat I just don't have one waiting for you guys to sell me the junk motor which i probably end up with :thumbsup:
Sven Fleischaker
redwing,mn
NaturalCamoFacePaint

Postby Goldfish » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:27 am

If I hunted the rivers by redwing I probably wouldn't want a motor either, lol.

My old 'Rude 9.9 has it's issues, but for the most part has never left me stranded. It puts up a fight at times, and makes getting to the spot a giant pain by not working in the morning, but she'll fire up for the return trip. I did run into the coils were going bad so once it warmed up it would quit mid lake, but once it cooled it would run again. I think I've got most the starting problems figure out too ever since I realized that the stupid spring which is supposed to turn the choke butterfly won't close it all the way so I stick my pinky down there to close it fully and she'll fire up good. As long as the pull chord doesn't break, but then I just start it old school by winding the line around the flywheel and giving it a pull, winding the line, pull, winding, pull, etc etc.
Stupid motors...
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Baysider » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:32 am

I had a 40hp Johnson that kept shearing the fly wheel pin on. Found out after months of workign on it and being towed in several times that a cylinder wall had gotten damaged and the rings were hanging just enough to cause the pin to shear. Gave it to a guy who bored it out and never had a problem again.
Right now we have a 25 yamaha that will suddenly stop running, and I mean stop. So hard the prop completely stops and the motor raises up. That only lasts a second and then you can take off again. It had other issues and Ive worked everything else out. Rebuilt carbs, swaped the computer, coils, rebuilt fuel pump....but I cant figure this one out.
We also have a 30 Johnson that has been in the drink 3 times. After its trips into the salt water we dry it out, spray all the insides with 3in1 oil, let soak for a couple days, clear it out, and run it. The first time it fell off was 5 years ago and its still going strong.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Postby hotrodtoad » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:51 pm

Baysider wrote:I had a 40hp Johnson that kept shearing the fly wheel pin on. Found out after months of workign on it and being towed in several times that a cylinder wall had gotten damaged and the rings were hanging just enough to cause the pin to shear. Gave it to a guy who bored it out and never had a problem again.
Right now we have a 25 yamaha that will suddenly stop running, and I mean stop. So hard the prop completely stops and the motor raises up. That only lasts a second and then you can take off again. It had other issues and Ive worked everything else out. Rebuilt carbs, swaped the computer, coils, rebuilt fuel pump....but I cant figure this one out.
We also have a 30 Johnson that has been in the drink 3 times. After its trips into the salt water we dry it out, spray all the insides with 3in1 oil, let soak for a couple days, clear it out, and run it. The first time it fell off was 5 years ago and its still going strong.

I had a 50 Johnson that would stop like that. Thought it seized up every time. Come to find out, it basically was. The pump that mixed the oil and gas was bad and it wasn't getting any oil. Replaced it with a standard pump and just premixed the gas and oil and never had another problem.
hotrodtoad

Postby broccoli » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:59 pm

Well I think I fixed it the pin it takes is metric and the one I put in there was standard so I did a little filing down and got the flywheel all the way down so maybe it will work at least 2 times in a row now
broccoli

Postby jehler » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:29 pm

hotrodtoad wrote:
Baysider wrote:I had a 40hp Johnson that kept shearing the fly wheel pin on. Found out after months of workign on it and being towed in several times that a cylinder wall had gotten damaged and the rings were hanging just enough to cause the pin to shear. Gave it to a guy who bored it out and never had a problem again.

I had a 50 Johnson that would stop like that. Thought it seized up every time. Come to find out, it basically was. The pump that mixed the oil and gas was bad and it wasn't getting any oil. Replaced it with a standard pump and just premixed the gas and oil and never had another problem.

My Johnson isn't as big as your guys' but it has never let me down ;)
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Baysider » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:53 am

Thanks for the thought HotRod but this is running mixed gas. No oil tank. We just said heck with it and run her. Get a bit sporty in a chop and a load of oysters and the thing stops like that though. I tend to stay away from the channel now as this skiff has already done a nose dive once. :lol:
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Return to The Blind