Rice Field Prep

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Rice Field Prep

Postby Darren » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:32 am

Heard from buddy with rice field that prep might fall largely on us this year unless we opt to hire the farmer or another 3rd party to come in and do it.

1.) What would be recommended to prep area around blind? Trying to avoid that typical circle in front and back of levees look; though think the cut behind the blind might be handled by the farmer.

2.) Suggested way to do it? Buy a small buffalo-type rig to drag? Other, legal means of prepping the area and opening the stubble a bit?

Central Louisiana area; thanks for any insight!
Darren

Re: Rice Field Prep

Postby Darren » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:13 pm

Think that is generally what we might attempt; sounds like we got access to an old ATV buffalo. Basically want to do anything but the death circle so commonly seen.

Maybe "prep" to halfway out across the field, doing the entire piece is just not practical, its pretty good size at about 35 acres, about 300 yards from blind to the other side
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:56 pm

My experience with leasing rice fields in the delta is probably bizarre but will share. Might help.
Where I leased in rice country it was well-known that a big fire means c'mon over for a beer.
So whenever I had a crisis the fire was huge. The local farm-hands would show up, ask if I needed anything, and would actually provide it. Why? CASH (don't take much)
Typically they'd ask how the hunting was going. That was my invitation to say what I needed.
Mutter something like "lost the water" and they'd run and get a tractor and a pump or whatever was required including poly-pipe. Amazing when it happens. Diesel fuel is where they draw the line. Plan on hauling and/or paying for that.

It should be easy to get a field rolled. It always has been easy enough for me but again...CASH.
The field hands are around but their boss is in Florida so they're eager to get a little extra spending money.

You need a really big fire and a lot of ice cold beer. Wait and see who shows up with what.

Used to have pictures of it happening. They'e gone now. doh.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:04 pm

Darren wrote:Think that is generally what we might attempt; sounds like we got access to an old ATV buffalo. Basically want to do anything but the death circle so commonly seen.

Maybe "prep" to halfway out across the field, doing the entire piece is just not practical, its pretty good size at about 35 acres, about 300 yards from blind to the other side

I have this little 4WD tractor, and I wouldn't mind doing your field. If you could find a 4' or 5' wide buffalo that would be perfect. How much water would the field have when doing this?..and I'd also need to know bottom firmness.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:07 pm

^^^ see? It ain't that hard to get a little help. Thanks for proving me right DC.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:09 pm

Working his way into some speck hunting. Very clever, these Cajuns.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:23 pm

Really wish more folks would get the idea that waterfowl hunting is a team sport.
Every season on opening day the GW gives this big speech before the drawing at public. (same speech for 40 years)
Nobody ever listens 'cept me I guess.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:34 pm

Rick wrote:Working his way into some speck hunting. Very clever, these Cajuns.

Shh!
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:19 pm

DComeaux wrote:Shh!

I was about to vouch for your speck calling, but OK.
Rick

Postby Darren » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:22 am

Dave, will keep the offer in mind when time comes. We do have access to what I'm told is about a 5 foot buffalo. The field bottom is pretty firm, I ride my 4WD fourwheeler in it pretty readily, which likely will be the means we use to pull the little buffalo if it can.

Doing the entire field is likely out of the question, but will try to do enough to avoid the death hole look. That said, we've had that death hole look a number of times.....maybe every time, in the past......and killed quite a few ducks and more specks than we would have thought. Our lack of calling prowess likely the biggest limiting factor on the specks
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:34 am

The offer is genuine, and a 5' buffalo will be hell on an ATV, IMO. Will the field be in thick rice stubble?
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:00 am

It well could be, guess we'll have to give it a go. Not sure on the thickness of the stubble.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:14 am

Could you burn it? Walk around with a flame thrower and let burn what will.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:22 pm

Jarren wrote:
DComeaux wrote:Could you burn it? Walk around with a flame thrower and let burn what will.

That's sounds like a fun and effective idea

All good fun until a neighbor loses a second crop...
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:04 pm

Rick wrote:
Jarren wrote:
DComeaux wrote:Could you burn it? Walk around with a flame thrower and let burn what will.

That's sounds like a fun and effective idea

All good fun until a neighbor loses a second crop...

Do a controlled burn. Must analyze the situation prior to the fire.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:37 pm

A proper controlled rice burn begins with plowing the field's perimeter to dust. And if they had a plow...
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:40 pm

....and 6 men running around with wet peat sacks.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:21 pm

Time for the tree story.
There was an oak tree that fell right on the edge of the rice field at the club house.
One day we got the bright idea that we'd burn it starting on one end.
Was working pretty good until...oh fuck the tree is hollow and there's flames shooting out every knot hole.
Uh oh.
Kenny was freaking out saying "you dumb asses are gonna catch the field on fire!".
It was close.

About a week later the owner of the clubhouse showed up and was delighted that the tree was gone. It was 3' diameter and about 80 feet of trunk laying on the ground.

Kenny gave me the credit which meant I was going to be the goat if that field had burned.
We all lived happily ever after (but there was some whining about me not washing my hands or something).
Many ducks, specks, and snows were killed.
The End
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:13 pm

DComeaux wrote:....and 6 men running around with wet peat sacks.

That would be the volunteer fire dept.
Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:30 am

johnc wrote:I'd just flood the stubble as is

I'd fear my duck decoys being lost from sight even if there were no warm weather regrowth and my goose decoys disappearing, too, if there were. (Unless you're talking about a way-too-deep-for-me flood.)
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:02 pm

Probably due to them catterwallers at Bayou Bottoms up in neAR. ;)
They kill a lot of specks.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:18 am

Were it me, I'd hire a tractor to make ONE disc pass running parallel to the levee over as much of the stubble as I could afford. Or to buffalo it thus if too wet to plow. Depending on the job that's doing, I might well ask him to make a second long pass over the area where I most want my decoys to show, but not enough to produce really clean water.

I don't recall ever seeing a 4-wheeler and light buffalo or chain link fence drag job that was really worthwhile. Though I'd suppose there'd be some hope IF the little buffalo has teeth (not just a roller). And IF the field's soft enough for those teeth to function. And IF there's a real horse of a 4-wheeler (or little 4wd tractor like Dave's) to work it enough to do a decent job. And then, it will likely be the vehicle's tire treads doing most of the real good.
Rick

Next

Return to The Blind