South Alabama Dove Opener

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

South Alabama Dove Opener

Postby Deltaman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:08 am

Date: 9/16/17

Time: Most of the hunters arrived between 12-1 p.m. Scaled down crowd from previous years

Cloud Cover: Slight to nil

Wind Direction and Velocity: Light Southerly breeze, but not near enough to help temp

Temperature: Touching 90 with high humidity

Moon phase: Waning

Special Notes: As usual, the cookout took center stage before and after the hunt, and a flat screen was mounted on a wall of the pole barn for football. The grill/smoker was in action the whole time, and the pre-hunt crowd was greeted with bacon wrapped/stuffed dove breasts, along with grilled Conecuh and Andouille sausage. The post hunt had more of the same, with addition of several slabs of slow cooked baby backs.

Dove Activity: Very slow the first few hours, that made me glad that I took a stand in the shade of a pecan tree. Around 5:00 p.m., when we would normally be leaving the field, the birds started working through in small groups. Saw some white-wings, and a few were killed, but the majority of birds were mourning doves.

Dove Responsiveness: Slow to begin with, but late afternoon they started working well.

Hunters: Only had about a dozen hunters, as the farmer has trimmed the crowd down from previous years

Guns:12 ga.- M2

Malfunctions: None

Dog(s):None

Special Equipment: Ice chest with cold drinks

Curses: Heat and Humidity........but hey, this is the South :)

Kudos: Fine folks and happy to be included each year

Birds By Species: 15 doves

Photo Ops: None

Lagniappe: Met my future wife here 6 years ago
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: South Alabama Dove Opener

Postby Rick » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:34 am

Surprised to read of whitewings that far east. And congrats on the wife find - strikes me as a fine place to start a lasting relationship.
Rick

Return to The Blind