Young guns

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Young guns

Postby Throbbin Rods » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:02 am

How many of you are taking the young guns out and teaching them the proper way of hunting waterfowl? I used to have an internet business selling hunting stuff. When I closed it I kept all the duck and goose calls I had and over the years have given them away to the young guys I have hunted with. I tune the calls before I hand them over. I have tried to show them how to call, and more importantly, when to call. I have shown them how 4 or 5 decoys can do more good than 40 or 50 in the right place under the right conditions. One of these youngsters who is about 24 (I am 62) recently spent a day hunting with a mutual acquaintance and told me he prefers hunting with me because the other guy watches over the decoys for about an hour and then goes and flushes every bird in the vicinity trying to kill one by sneaking up on them. I can and will sit the decoys from an hour before legal shooting time until 1pm. We consistently kill birds late morning/early afternoon when they are returning from stuffing their gullets. I never have to worry about not having a friend to hunt with because these youngsters are always up for a hunt. They are always game for a trip out at O Dark Thirty to paddle into some godforsaken swamp hole in the hopes of seeing ducks. Lastly, as I get closer to the age where maybe I won't want to hunt alone or paddle 5 miles by myself I am secure in the knowledge that I will always have someone to take me out and make sure I get to hunt as long as I want to.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: Young guns

Postby Rick » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:28 am

At 67, I'm still the "young gun" for several of my regulars.
Rick

Re: Young guns

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:39 am

I have arrested development where I'm 14 years old inside my head when under stress.
You want to try re-training me? I'm only 56.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to The Blind