Troubleshoot this 4 me plz

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Troubleshoot this 4 me plz

Postby aunt betty » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:32 am

Have a problem with antifreeze leaking out at the water pump on the '07 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4.
It's been doing it since I got the truck but only when there is antifreeze in the reservoir.
Took me years to figure it out because it's intermittent.
Way back when we had the free maint they put a new water pump in and "cured it". (nope)

So again I changed the water pump and found that no matter what it's gonna leak whenever there is fluid in the reservoir.
Open up the radiator cap and it's past full?
There's gotta be something I'm missing here.
I even tried a new radiator cap.

When I have the reservoir full I can drive around and it don't leak but when it gets parked it makes a tiny pancake sized puddle overnight. I'm not sweating it but this is the time of year where you go over these things.
Any ideas? (other than buying a ford, gmc, or chevy) HA HA.
Don't do it.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Re: Troubleshoot this 4 me plz

Postby aunt betty » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:38 am

I guess the thing to do is buy the dye that shows up in a black light and try to track it down.
It's something to do with the reservoir obviously. Leak is on the opposite side of the engine so I don't think it's traveling across the engine to the other side.
When it's empty the leak quits.
aunt betty

Postby R. Chapman » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:04 pm

Could be a head gasket which would suck a fat dick. I blew the gasket on my Cummins a while ago just enough to have a hairline leak down the back of block. Went through and replaced whole cooling system.

Mishimoto Radiator
21 PSI Radiator Cap
Hoses
180* Thermostat
Water Pump
Even added a coolant bypass kit and billet freeze plug

Still loosing coolant.

Finally sucked it up and took to head off to find a crack on the gasket up by the number 1 cylinder.

Took the head to the shop and wacked 4 thou off and clean up the exhaust manifold ports. Then took it to another shop to have O-Ring grooves cut, porting and polishing, and a valve job.

Got the head back, installed HD valve springs, titanium keepers and retainers, Hamilton Valves and Extreme Duty Push Rods, ARP 625 Head Studs, and a OE Cummins 10 thou Gasket. Got the head back on and everything back together. My grand total ended up being in the neighborhood of $4700 when it was all said and done but lots of upgraded parts. If I blow a gasket again I'll be fucking pissed :lol:
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby aunt betty » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:01 pm

R. Chapman wrote:Could be a head gasket which would suck a fat dick. I blew the gasket on my Cummins a while ago just enough to have a hairline leak down the back of block. Went through and replaced whole cooling system.

Mishimoto Radiator
21 PSI Radiator Cap
Hoses
180* Thermostat
Water Pump
Even added a coolant bypass kit and billet freeze plug

Still loosing coolant.

Finally sucked it up and took to head off to find a crack on the gasket up by the number 1 cylinder.

Took the head to the shop and wacked 4 thou off and clean up the exhaust manifold ports. Then took it to another shop to have O-Ring grooves cut, porting and polishing, and a valve job.

Got the head back, installed HD valve springs, titanium keepers and retainers, Hamilton Valves and Extreme Duty Push Rods, ARP 625 Head Studs, and a OE Cummins 10 thou Gasket. Got the head back on and everything back together. My grand total ended up being in the neighborhood of $4700 when it was all said and done but lots of upgraded parts. If I blow a gasket again I'll be fucking pissed :lol:

Rex I'm talking about the everyday driving truck. The other dodge.
Gas engine buddy. Hemi.
Something minor or it woulda shit years ago. It's been leaking for at least 5 years and three freaking water pumps that all were good. Have one on the shelf in the garage. I'll get me some coolant dye next week and figure it out.
aunt betty

Return to The Blind