Got a juvy his first duck

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Got a juvy his first duck

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:18 pm

So yesterday I came home from work early to take my 12 year old Chase for a crack at getting a duck. He threw a pre-teen tantrum at me about his boots, I told him he had 5 minutes to be changed and in the truck to hunt. He just sat there on his bed, I asked if he was going or if I should take his younger brother.

So 3 minutes later Cody (my 10 year old) and I were in the truck and headed to the blind. We flushed about 18 widgeon out of the hole when we pulled up, so we hustled to get our crap ready. Before I could even get situated or tell him to load his gun he says "Dad, here they come!". He jammed 3- 20 gauge, 2 3/4 #6's in and shouldered the gun. I could tell he was aiming at the lead bird which was borderline past his shooting lane, I told him to take the one in the middle - floating at 20 yards out, 10 yards up, with gear down. BOOM! First shot, widgeon hits the water. We hadn't been there 5 minutes and he killed his first duck.

About 30 minutes later we spot a pair, they cut down and land so quick that he didn't have time to pull the trigger. I tell him to wax one off the water, BOOM, duck number 2. A little later he has another pair swing by, at this point he's getting a little cocky, and he whiffs clean twice holding off on the third shot as they were out of range by then. After having time to text kill shots to practically every he's ever known another group of maybe 8 give us a look. They make two full passes around us before committing to drop their gear. He picks one out and bust a wing, duck #3. We heard honkers flying by at one point and he tells me his 20 could do the job, they never came by close enough to prove it. We spent the last 30 minutes watching the sun set with no other ducks come by to check us out.

Needless to say, he now thinks he is a young Tom Knapp with that second hand Winchester pump against his shoulder. He didn't want me to even help clean the birds last night, and was eager to clean the shotty once I got home from work today.

I think I've created a monster.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Re: Got a juvy his first duck

Postby Olly » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:22 pm

Stories like that are awesome. Thanks for sharing! Future fowler for sure.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Fowlplay » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:23 pm

congrats on a fine hunt
Fowlplay

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Your screwed he'll want a benelli by next year for sure
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Redbeard » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:28 pm

Great story JR. Such a satisfying feeling ain't it.
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Bad17 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:34 pm

Can't wait to share the same experience of watching my boy take his own ducks by himself. That must have been a great hunt. Thanks for sharing.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:38 pm

Redbeard wrote:Great story JR. Such a satisfying feeling ain't it.

Yup, when he made that first shot I think I yelled "NIIIICCCEE SSSHOTT!" loud enough to make him jump a little.

Now its my 12 year olds turn to get a few. My wife told me he was regretting his testosterone fueled decision about 15 minutes after we left. :lol: I told him that attitude wont fly when I'm putting a gun in his hand. I guess some times they just gotta check to see if you are bluffing them or not.

The way he was busting clays this summer I have no doubt he'll be keeping up with the big boys in no time.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:12 pm

I've created a monster. He's watching duck hunting videos on YouTube right now.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:02 am

Great story 3leg!!! And it looks like you got a beautiful duck club there. :thumbsup:
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby jehler » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:59 am

Great story, you handle the kids a lot like I do
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Baysider » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:49 am

Congrats to you both. Great story and pics.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Postby Redbeard » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:59 am

3legged_lab wrote:
Redbeard wrote:Great story JR. Such a satisfying feeling ain't it.

Yup, when he made that first shot I think I yelled "NIIIICCCEE SSSHOTT!" loud enough to make him jump a little.

Now its my 12 year olds turn to get a few. My wife told me he was regretting his testosterone fueled decision about 15 minutes after we left. :lol: I told him that attitude wont fly when I'm putting a gun in his hand. I guess some times they just gotta check to see if you are bluffing them or not.

The way he was busting clays this summer I have no doubt he'll be keeping up with the big boys in no time.

that 12 yr old of yours will be up and dressed before you next time...hopefully
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby TNAL45 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:18 am

Great story!
I refuse to play any sport that considers water a "hazard".
TNAL45

Postby Goldfish » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:54 am

3legged_lab wrote:I've created a monster. He's watching duck hunting videos on YouTube right now.

Hahahaha. Good job.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby JGUN » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:24 am

3legged_lab wrote:I've created a monster. He's watching duck hunting videos on YouTube right now.

Great story! My boys sit and watch duck hunting videos with their toy shotguns right now. They have a couple more years before they start shooting the real thing.
JGUN

Postby jehler » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:28 am

JGUN wrote:

Great story! My boys sit and watch duck hunting videos with their toy shotguns right now. They have a couple more years before they start shooting the real thing.

God help us
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby JGUN » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:31 am

You think Jr molests birds wait till Wyatt is in the blind.:lol:
JGUN

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:38 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:Great story 3leg!!! And it looks like you got a beautiful duck club there. :thumbsup:

Not my club, I'm too poor for that. I'm just lucky to have generous friends who let me hunt, and in return I'm always the first one there when its time for a manual labor day.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:52 pm

jehler wrote:Great story, you handle the kids a lot like I do

Well, I haven't forgot what its like be in his shoes, but I have a low tolerance for 'attitude' from a kid. Some people may say I'm a hardass, but I think too many people let their kids walk all over them. I grew up getting spankings, and I feel like I came out alright. :lol:

Its funny, I thought I knew more at the age of 16 than I may actually know right now.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby grizz18 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:25 am

3 leg thats one of the best stories I've read on a duck forum. Always enjoy reading about the dads taking the kids. :thumbsup:
grizz18

Postby OGblackcloud » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:57 pm

Great post :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud

Postby chodebelding » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:34 am

nice duck, great story
chodebelding

Postby huntfishnv » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:22 am

Nice hunt.
huntfishnv

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:06 pm

So "Mr. First Born" got redemption tonight. He had a little less activity than his brother, but still managed to make a kill with his first shot. I'm literally surprised what a 20 ga 2 3/3" #6 shot can do to a duck inside of 25 yards. He pounded this thing. The breast area looked like it had been shot twice. He tried a few other shots but got no love from the ducks. I think I'm about to become way poorer in the area of shotgun shells.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby huntntech » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:50 pm

I bet he won't want to miss out on a hunt anymore!
huntntech

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:26 am

3legged_lab wrote:So "Mr. First Born" got redemption tonight. He had a little less activity than his brother, but still managed to make a kill with his first shot. I'm literally surprised what a 20 ga 2 3/3" #6 shot can do to a duck inside of 25 yards. He pounded this thing. The breast area looked like it had been shot twice. He tried a few other shots but got no love from the ducks. I think I'm about to become way poorer in the area of shotgun shells.

I love shooting ducks with my 20ga we try to have a few 20 ga shoots a year at the blind. :thumbsup:
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:27 am

3legged_lab wrote:So "Mr. First Born" got redemption tonight. He had a little less activity than his brother, but still managed to make a kill with his first shot. I'm literally surprised what a 20 ga 2 3/3" #6 shot can do to a duck inside of 25 yards. He pounded this thing. The breast area looked like it had been shot twice. He tried a few other shots but got no love from the ducks. I think I'm about to become way poorer in the area of shotgun shells.

Get a used reloader and force slave labor for hunting trips.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:03 pm

Flightstopper wrote:

Get a used reloader and force slave labor for hunting trips.

Sounds familiar
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:09 pm

Here is that gaddy he punded. It may not show in the pic, but in person you can see where all the pellets hit.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:10 pm

Both wings and both legs were busted too.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Next

Return to The Blind