Remington Nitro-Mag Sale

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Remington Nitro-Mag Sale

Postby Deltaman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:03 pm

Anybody else see the $100 rebate on a case of Remington Nitro-Mags @ Rogers Sporting Goods? I bought 2 cases of 3" (#BB and #4), 1 3/8 oz. shot for $179.00 per case, and will get $100 back for each case upon completion of rebate form (downloaded off of Roger's site)..........what a deal, and worth checking out if you are in the market. Surely they won't last long, so get after it if you are interested. Purchase now, and they wait and ship/invoice during the two week promotional period starting 11/20 I believe.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: Remington Nitro-Mag Sale

Postby Rick » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:11 pm

Just don't expect that rebate to come any time soon, if past history is any indication. Likely to takes months: three or so according to some past buyers.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:38 pm

Rick wrote:Just don't expect that rebate to come any time soon, if past history is any indication. Likely to takes months: three or so according to some past buyers.

Think that's pretty typical Rick, and I am ok with that as long as I get the $200 back. I worked for a laser printer manufacturer some years ago, and we would sometimes do a strong rebate on a particular unit, and the larger $ rebate is typically based on the standard % of people actually buying vs. people actually remembering to send in for the rebate within the allotted time. At the time, the average rate of rebate requests from purchases was around 72%, as a lot of people forget about it and never send it in. Looks like Remington only gives you a two week window to claim.............and I've made sure to have several reminder notes in key places (at work and at home)............just to be sure..........200 clams is worth remembering!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:13 am

I'm just remembering all the "Where's my money?" worry and gnashing of teeth on these boards the last time around. May well buy a couple cases, myself, and tie up $100 over the cost of my preferred ammo for a few months in order to save $100 in the long run. Still gnawing on whether I want to save the money badly enough to shoot 3" shells in my 20...
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:00 am

Rick wrote: Still gnawing on whether I want to save the money badly enough to shoot 3" shells in my 20...

There aren't many situations where I'd recommend to pay the extra money and use special extra juicy ammo until a 20 gauge is the weapon. The difference between 2.75 and 3 inch shells in a 20 is huge and is mandatory to use 3's if you're shooting ducks or geese. (pheasants too)
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Deltaman » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:42 am

Rick wrote:I'm just remembering all the "Where's my money?" worry and gnashing of teeth on these boards the last time around. May well buy a couple cases, myself, and tie up $100 over the cost of my preferred ammo for a few months in order to save $100 in the long run. Still gnawing on whether I want to save the money badly enough to shoot 3" shells in my 20...

I'm not rich by any means, but can wait a few months for $200, and very well understand that sometimes $200, is the dif between paying a bill on time and not for some. In today's world, pay check to pay check is pretty common.........and scary!
I've always been of the opinion, like AB, that 3" for the 20 ga is mandatory for waterfowl, but then again, most of our hunting in the open bays do not afford really tight shots.
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:22 pm

Damn, I've been doing it all wrong for the past dozen or so years. Been killing my ducks daily and geese from time to time with 2 3/4" 20ga 5s. Huge fan of Kent's Upland Steel.

But I'm most definitely more interested in seeing how close I can get them than how far I can hit them.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Pheasants taught me to use 3's in the twenty gauge I used to shoot. 870 light weight special field.
(hobbit gun...it's a cute lil thing)

Hell I didn't even know the thing would shoot em until one day my dad rubbed it in my face.

Canada geese are a wee bit harder to kill than snows and specks.
5's would work at the park maybe. Lowes has a little pond...
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:37 pm

I've killed a few low passing "giant" Ohio Valley residents with 2 3/4" 20ga 7 1/2 lead while quail hunting along the Ohio and Muskingum rivers, and would bet something nice 5 steel to the head and neck would do the same. 'Course if you're just shooting at "goose" or unconscious of range, you might well want something with more oomph, and the little gun wasn't my choice for targeting Canadas.

Re: pheasants, they're what I cut my wing-shooting teeth on, albeit with a crack-barrel 16. And I made the switch to 20ga at a time (circa '70s) when the big gun writers all made 3" 20ga shells out to be a marketing hoax that actually hurt your chances. Having no experience to counter their shot stringing argument, I don't know that I ever shot a pheasant with a 3" shell. My MO for the wild ones was standard velocity 2 3/4" 6s in the right barrel and 2 3/4" "baby magnum" 5s in the left. (Sometimes shot holdover released birds while hunting woodcock on WMAs that stocked with 7 1/2s.) Could well be meaningful that I shot the overwhelming majority of my upland birds over pointing dogs in those days and, if the dog knows its business, that doesn't take much gun.

Anyway, to each his own. Confidence plays a mighty big role in any wing-shooting.
Rick

Postby Bad17 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:26 am

aunt betty wrote:Pheasants taught me to use 3's in the twenty gauge I used to shoot. 870 light weight special field.
(hobbit gun...it's a cute lil thing)

Hell I didn't even know the thing would shoot em until one day my dad rubbed it in my face.

Canada geese are a wee bit harder to kill than snows and specks.
5's would work at the park maybe. Lowes has a little pond...

Best place to hunt in Illinois.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby aunt betty » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:00 am

They built a retention pond in Rantoul. There are years where that sucker holds ten to fifty thousand Canadians.

In fact they built a couple big ponds that hold geese. Something about fresh diggings...
They had to dig the ponds to get the dirt to bury something BIG at Chanute AFB when they closed it.
The minute the earth-movers moved in so did the geese but the geese stayed.
aunt betty

Postby Bad17 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:03 am

aunt betty wrote:They built a retention pond in Rantoul. There are years where that sucker holds ten to fifty thousand Canadians.

In fact they built a couple big ponds that hold geese. Something about fresh diggings...
They had to dig the ponds to get the dirt to bury something BIG at Chanute AFB when they closed it.
The minute the earth-movers moved in so did the geese but the geese stayed.

Well you know what you gotta do to get the birds to come in. Rent an earth mover and get busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:56 am

And I think setting out and picking up 100 decoys is too much work for 2 geese. Now I need an earth mover :o
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:40 am

Ok but you two are buying the diesel fuel. :lol:

We better quit this conversation right now.
As a kid I had a farm-kid friend who tried really hard to hustle me into helping him build his pond.
He'd bought himself a 10-foot jon boat and ...
Oh God that's still funny. Pathetic. I think he finally had a little puddle just big enough to turn a 10-boat around in circles.
Buddy had some weird but always fun ideas. The pond one was pretty whacked.

Flash forward 35 years and I was working for a civil engineer to build the real deal for a housing subdivision. The Christmas tree farm in Monticello got sold and turned into part of the subdivision. The irony is that the landowner's kids had tried to build it themselves with a back-hoe. Made quite a mess.

The point is that pond-building is best left to well-financed professionals. Count me out unless you are going to pay me an engineer's salary and are going to supply me with two goose pits installed on site.
I pick the location. You two lease the dozer and pay all the little stuff like permits and fuel. lool
If it were only that easy. :mrgreen:
aunt betty

Return to The Blind