Flu shot scam

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Flu shot scam

Postby don novicki » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:05 am

Who in their right mind believes a flu shot, with 10% effectiveness has any protection against the flu. The people that have died did not die directly because of the flu but rather complications (read that pneumonia) in most cases. The big winners are once again big pharma. They make hundreds of millions on the yearly flu shots so they have every incentive to push it out there to you. Another scam by big money into thinking you are better off with it than without it. I hear Dr's say that it lessens symptoms but how can that be when it only works 10% of the time ?
don novicki

Re: Flu shot scam

Postby Deltaman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:58 am

.........and now there is a shortage of the flu shot, and the Tamiflu.............yep, big money made this year, and if they can create more of each quickly, while the epidemic is still in full speed mode, the paycheck just gets bigger :o
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby don novicki » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:02 am

Always funny how a price increase cures any shortage.....
don novicki

Postby aunt betty » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:22 am

If you knew how they make the vaccine...

Have put a roof or two on in my time. If my roofs were 17% effective that'd mean that 83 out of every 100 roofs I built leak but just when it rains. HIRE ME!
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:32 am

There are many strains of flu and they can only put a few of them in a vaccine AND the decision on which ones has to be made very far in advance so they can produce the quantities needed.

For the strains they pick, it is very effective. For the ones they do not, if they are similar it may have some benefits. For those that are different, they do nothing.

The dominant strains this year were not the ones they picked.

It's like trying to pick a few days to duck hunt next season today. Some years you nail it and some years you don't. But you will never hit it every year. And in the case of the flu vaccine, it is not even possible to be near 100% effective. Even 10% saves a lot of lives, but 60% would save a hell of a lor more. Not just those vaccinated, but those that did not get it because they did not catch it from someone who was.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:37 am

I'll admit not having taken a flu shot in years, but when I did, they seemed 100% effective in making me sick. Perhaps psychosomatic, as I've been called the first bit of that two bit word.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:12 am

Most people don't react, but some do. I have gotten it every year for nearl 20 years since I got the flu and while on my ass I got pneumonia on top.

Even this year and I got one, but caught the ass kicking strain of flu they didn't expect. It really messed me up really bad.
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:27 am

The pure-evil body named AB kills the viruses that kill most other mere mortals. Had really minor flu for a couple days. Achy with cold-sweats. It did suck.

Virus was terminated with extreme vengeance while I survived. :clap:

Flu-shot...whatever.
My wife gets em. I don't because like Rick it makes me feel puny for a day or two and then I get the flu anyway because my wife works in hospital maintenance.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to The Blind