Loss of a Hunting Partner

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Loss of a Hunting Partner

Postby Deltaman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:44 am

Dammit man.........weird feeling..........it has been almost two weeks since he died (Mardi Gras Day, 2/13/18), of a heart attack while staying in a damn hotel room in North Mississippi, working a job (a Geologist, reading core samples), and I am just now to a point that I can talk about him without tearing up. We met in first grade in the early 60's and discovered that we were fairly close neighbors as well. While we ran in the same circles growing up, our freshman year in college is when we really bonded as best friends, with the same love of duck hunting in the Mobile River Delta. For 42 years, we hunted all but two openers together (I was out of town in 1981, and this past year, his lifelong back issues held him back), and the hours spent in duck blinds and fishing boats over our lifetime, were the stuff of a many incredible memories. Lots of good and bad experiences, and if there was ever a "McGyver" like partner you wanted around when things went South, he was one of the best! An out of the box thinker, whose creative ideas in tight situations, saved our asses on more than one occasion. We spent so much time together in a boat, and always seemed to be on the same page, no matter the subject. Losing such a close friend, is as if a part of you dies with them. Tally Ho Michael Frank Johnson, and here's to no more back pain that steals your sleep!

P.S. - Please save me a spot in that big duck blind
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: Loss of a Hunting Partner

Postby Rick » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:09 pm

Sounds like much more than just a hunting partner. May he and all who loved him know God's grace.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:47 pm

So sorry for your loss. Seems you two had one heck of a friendship.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:31 pm

A part of your friend lives as long as you remember.
Part of you died yes but keep that little part of your buddy that is in you alive.

I'm sorry brother.

Lost a duck hunting pal this morning. It sucks
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:38 pm

Very sorry to hear of losing a treasured long time buddy; old friends like that are too hard to come by. He'll save you a spot in the good blind just as you'd do for him. Hang in there
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:46 am

Thank you all for the kind words, and I hope that we all have a greater appreciation for the friends and hunting partners that we still share a blind with. Like AB says, they never die as long as you have memories, just flat sucks to lose them! Sorry to hear of your lose as well AB.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Return to The Blind