Jehler, quick question

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Jehler, quick question

Postby Mornin Beef » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:04 pm

Your fishing boat. Saw a pic awhile back. Those float boxes off your transom. You make and weld those yourself or were they manufactured? I will post a pic of my project boat this weekend that caused this question.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Re: Jehler, quick question

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:06 pm

Wood and resin if I remember right
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Mornin Beef » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:08 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Wood and resin if I remember right

Wow really. They looked like aluminum.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby jehler » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:18 pm

Both right. I made them out of plywood to see how I liked them, the plywood ones lasted about 3 seasons before they needed patching up and since I liked them so much I had a pair welded out of .125 aluminum. The wood ones got pitched
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:55 am

Realize this is a crappy pic but these are the wood pods, they look identical to the aluminum

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350647659.301231.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby capt1972 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:49 am

jehler, how did you attach the wood pods to the boat?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:56 am

capt1972 wrote:jehler, how did you attach the wood pods to the boat?

nuts and bolts. i put a 6" deck plate in the top then drill three holes across the top and four across the bottom. I put the bolts through a peice of aluminum angle on the inside of the pod to resist pull through. the box is constructed with locking miters, you tube "locking miter router bit" if you don't know what that is. all four sides parallel with the water are locking miters the front and back are dado'd in. after construction all the corners were epoxied with two layers of 6 oz tape, a layer of 6 oz matt on the bottom and just epoxy on the top
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:57 am

a lot of 5200 between the pods and boat when mounting. when i pulled them off i took all the bolts out and could still stand on them, just the caulk holding them on
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:01 am

You ever use Lexel? That shit is no joke.
assateague

Postby jehler » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:07 am

assateague wrote:You ever use Lexel? That shit is no joke.

lexel...that the clear chit that is just like geo-cell? i think so, comes out thick put sticks like the devil and stays flexible? we use a caulk called solar seal a lot
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:29 am

Yeah, it comes in a clear tube. Trying to get that stuff off is one of the circles of hell.
assateague

Postby jehler » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:34 am

assateague wrote:Yeah, it comes in a clear tube. Trying to get that stuff off is one of the circles of hell.

5200 is worse, lots worse. I can pretty much gauruntee you have never used it as it is $20 a tube :lol:

the lexan is clear tube with red letters right. we have used on replacement windows when there is a big gap. the chit doesn't even hardly sag
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:05 pm

Yes, that's the stuff.

I used the 5200 on my hybrid, around the carriage bolts I put the motor mount on with. The only thing worse than spending $20 for sealant is spending $20 for sealant that you know damn well you'll only use 84 cents' worth of. I put the tube in a vacuum bag and put it in the food saver to seal it up. No idea if its still good, but its still there, waiting for me to try it. It was the best idea I could think of to save it.
assateague

Postby Goldfish » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Lol. You are to much sometimes, but that does sound like a good idea to preserve it.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:39 pm

jehler wrote:
assateague wrote:Yeah, it comes in a clear tube. Trying to get that stuff off is one of the circles of hell.

5200 is worse, lots worse. I can pretty much gauruntee you have never used it as it is $20 a tube :lol:

the lexan is clear tube with red letters right. we have used on replacement windows when there is a big gap. the chit doesn't even hardly sag

Are you talkin about Lexel? That stuff is amazing. There is no moving it once it sets up. Well worth the price if you know how to use it.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Mornin Beef » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:53 pm

I will post pick of 100$ salvage boat this weekend.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby blackrhino » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:00 pm

assateague wrote:Yes, that's the stuff.

I used the 5200 on my hybrid, around the carriage bolts I put the motor mount on with. The only thing worse than spending $20 for sealant is spending $20 for sealant that you know damn well you'll only use 84 cents' worth of. I put the tube in a vacuum bag and put it in the food saver to seal it up. No idea if its still good, but its still there, waiting for me to try it. It was the best idea I could think of to save it.

Once you seal it up. Put it in the freezer. It will last a long time.
blackrhino

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:23 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:Your fishing boat. Saw a pic awhile back. Those float boxes off your transom. You make and weld those yourself or were they manufactured? I will post a pic of my project boat this weekend that caused this question.

Here is the boat. A roughneck in my town brought it to a dump to get cash for aluminum but the dump said he needed to strip it before they'd take it. I offered him 75 and he took it. I stripped the starcraft marlin 16' to her skinnies. Nice thick aluminum. I am curious about Jehler's methods cuz I have zero plans to put a floor/foam in this boat. It would be nice to have the security of those floats though and his def looked solid.

Carp
Mornin Beef

Return to The Blind