Is it going to work at Big Lake?

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Is it going to work at Big Lake?

Postby aunt betty » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:49 am

I mean 5G. The vast amount of misinformation out there on 5G is staggering.
Maybe some is true?

The way my engineering mind comprehends it 5G is a frequency not version 5 of the G-series cell phone system.
5 gigahertz.

If correct this means that cell towers are going to have to be closer together because high frequency has less range.
It means we're going to be bombed with even more radio waves blah blah worry about your health blah blah but what really matters is "will I get better service in my duck hole? The one where I've posted gps cords and dared ppl to try and find it.
So far nobody has showed up.

In the past 4-5 years the cell service at Big Lake has improved. I can send and receive texts in 'the hole" where it once was impossible. I think 5G means that Big Lake will suddenly be a dark zone again. I wonder...
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Re: Is it going to work at Big Lake?

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:30 pm

aunt betty wrote:I think 5G means that Big Lake will suddenly be a dark zone again.

I have no idea how this stuff works. However, I believe they leave the old technology in place if it has more coverage. Where I goose hunt, I usually don't get 4G, but I get a lesser quality and it is spotty which will kill your battery especially in the cold when your battery doesn't work as well in the first place and now constantly scanning for signal. My office at work only has 1x because of the interference of equipment and the building, but I have the internet through wireless so it doesn't matter.

You should keep what you have, but it will probably never get the 5G. I'd actually be surprised if you were getting 4G there now. Probably 3G or lower, which is fine for sending texts. When I was in southern Illinois goose hunting, we had no data a lot of places we were and I didn't know how to switch my text messages from SMS (???) to regular text and it would not send them.
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:01 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
aunt betty wrote:I think 5G means that Big Lake will suddenly be a dark zone again.

I have no idea how this stuff works. However, I believe they leave the old technology in place if it has more coverage. Where I goose hunt, I usually don't get 4G, but I get a lesser quality and it is spotty which will kill your battery especially in the cold when your battery doesn't work as well in the first place and now constantly scanning for signal. My office at work only has 1x because of the interference of equipment and the building, but I have the internet through wireless so it doesn't matter.

You should keep what you have, but it will probably never get the 5G. I'd actually be surprised if you were getting 4G there now. Probably 3G or lower, which is fine for sending texts. When I was in southern Illinois goose hunting, we had no data a lot of places we were and I didn't know how to switch my text messages from SMS (???) to regular text and it would not send them.
That preface is amazingly bettyesque. You been reading too many betty posts. :mrgreen:
aunt betty

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:42 pm

aunt betty wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

That preface is amazingly bettyesque. You been reading too many betty posts. :mrgreen:

:lol:

You said it. I didn't. Well that it is betyesque and not that I have no idea, except here are my ideas. I did say that. :oops:
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:08 pm

Olly could probably explain how a cell phone works best but it all goes back to what's called "ship-to-shore communications" and what used to be called a "phone-patch". They're just fancy radios with a ton of accessories.
aunt betty

Return to The Blind