Suppose...

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Suppose...

Postby aunt betty » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:23 pm

Suppose you're a guy from Illinoize that's never had mud bugs. There are crawdads up here but I suspect that they're some sort of mutants due to the chemical industry. :)

Now suppose you were going to take a 500-mile ride to go get some mud bugs that are done right. Suppose you wanted to try them and if they're not agreeing with my yankee guts then I'd try and eat as much shrimp as possible. Gator sammich for dessert and then maybe a side order of nutria.

WHERE WOULD YOU GO? (and when)
Be very specific.

I'm not asking the guys from Wisconsin or Kansas but the Louisiana ones.
Before I die I gotta try me some Cajun goodness.
Maybe try a little Coonass goodness too.

Don't send me to Mardi Gras I'd get mugged and stuffed into a goose pit that gets filled with concrete.
I'm thinking more like side-of-the road cooked in a camper sort of thing. (on the cheap)
Have never been disappointed when I tried that. (even in southern cal)

Rick do you by any chance own a food truck? :lol:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Re: Suppose...

Postby Rick » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:46 am

No truck, everyone in SWLA is a boil master but me. So I'm inclined to stay out of the way at friends and family boils. (And I'll admit to not putting anything but butter in the water when I boil and doing my seasoning in the box. Grandson boils part time for what many here think the best place in our little burg, but at 18 his mind's on other things, and he might forget to put the crawfish in.)

Know others here just have to be more widely traveled and better sources than I.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:19 am

Come down to Lafayette and I'll direct you to many, many places to get you fill of bugs. Seems every street corner has a boiling pot. I had my first last weekend and there were awesome. We're going to boil 150# over the Easter weekend for the family.

Salesman just dropped off fried shrimp and crameat boudin balls, and crawfish boudin for the office personnel....off to the kitchen I go!
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:27 pm

DComeaux wrote:crabmeat boudin balls,

Bring dat east to BR!

AB come on down to S. La, can get you hooked up with crawfish from Lake Charles to New Orleans, and you might notice some variations geographically on who puts what in the boil but end result is largely the same.

Keep in mind, some season like all get out when boiling, some boil in CLEAN WATER, no seasoning. Lot of ways to skin a cat, some better and wider accepted than others. During hunting season I hit up Rocky's/The Dugout in Bunkie who got their start near Lafayette, they are known for their crawfish. I've no experience with anything crawfish related any further north than there but would like to believe some quality boiling takes place on the northern end of The Boot a time or two :lol:
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:43 pm

There is a guy in Ruston, LA that boils a lot of crawfish each year. Ben Christmas catering.

I won’t pay for anyone to cook them for me up here, due to price, not quality. But I’ll boil several hundred pounds each spring for family and church groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Deltaman » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:24 am

Prices usually drop after Easter.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Ericdc » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:28 am

Deltaman wrote:Prices usually drop after Easter.

Yea I’m doing my first boil next Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Return to The Blind