Moment of silence

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Moment of silence

Postby Throbbin Rods » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:49 am

Patrick F. McManus of Outdoor Life and Field and Stream fame, plus many self written books passed at 84 on 4/11/2018 in Spokane WA .
I read Pat's columns first thing whenever I picked up my Outdoor Life, Field and Stream or whatever magazine he was in at the moment. Laughed at his misadventures with his faithful dog Strange and his buddies Crazy Eddie Muldoon and Retch Sweeney, along with the "mentor" Rancid Crabtree, and let us not forget his beloved sister "The Troll". I was fortunate enough to meet the man once while on a business trip and he was quite friendly.and receptive to sitting down and having a drink and swapping hunting stories. I am sitting now with a couple of his books re-reading short stories and wishing him fair winds and following seas.
Another of my childhood hero's gone.
RIP Pat
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: Moment of silence

Postby Deltaman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:03 am

You could always relate to his stories, and if he didn't make you smile............you had no sense of humor!
RIP Pat!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: Moment of silence

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:53 am

Deltaman wrote:...you had no sense of humor!

OK, I'll admit it. Most of McManus wasn't for me. But I did admire how prolific he managed to be.
Rick

Return to The Blind