Turkey Season

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: Turkey Season

Postby don novicki » Thu May 17, 2018 6:17 am

In a word......bad. Birds have been silent after coming off the roost. Days on end of heavy rain and cold temps, we were in the low 40s every day last week. Not sure what is really going on but my opinion is that after we got our 6 feet of snow over Christmas, maybe a lot of birds didn't make it. It was a really tough winter up here which probably didn't help the population. JMO be though.
don novicki

Re: Turkey Season

Postby aunt betty » Thu May 17, 2018 6:30 am

The only time I've ever had a chance to shoot turkeys it was duck season.
One of the strangest things that's ever happened to be so I will share.

Used to travel to hunt in southern Illinois. Oakwood Bottoms was the destination with Lake Kinkaid as plan B.
OWB freezes up, the ducks all go to roost on the lake.

That lake has the steepest highest banks you have ever seen. It's hundreds of feet deep. Steep all the way to the bottom like a fjord in Norway. Was hunting in one of the "coves" when a big flock of turkeys that were scratching around on the other side decided to fly to my side. They nearly landed in the boat with me. I could have shot three easy. Point blank range.
A lot of my game kills are "whatever flew that day" but I just couldn't do it to them turkeys.

My boat blind is tight. I've had all sorts of game try to get in. Albino deer at SanChris Lake. Turkeys at Lake Kincaid...the gw is never going to believe it when I come in with a white rhino in the boat. :mrgreen:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to The Blind