E15?!?!

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

E15?!?!

Postby aunt betty » Thu May 24, 2018 5:27 pm

Just watched a PSA on the local news touting the dangers of using the new E15 motor fuel. Just in time for the big travel holiday.
This is going to affect us especially the ones who run outboards.
The story seemed to focus concern on lawn mowers, motorcycles, and boats.

This is the first time I've heard of E15. Maybe I wasn't paying attention.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Re: E15?!?!

Postby DComeaux » Thu May 24, 2018 8:13 pm

Non ethanol is available down here. Ethanol is bad is so many ways, an increase in the mixture is ridiculous.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Thu May 24, 2018 8:15 pm

Careful of them fuel websites. Ruined a nice salamander heater "cuz the internet said it was the closest place that sells kerosene". They sold my guy diesel fuel and said it was kerosene. I shoulda fired somebody that day.
Messed up a good job. Stanked up the whole place and ruined the heater.
aunt betty

Postby Deltaman » Fri May 25, 2018 7:32 am

DComeaux wrote:Non ethanol is available down here. Ethanol is bad is so many ways, an increase in the mixture is ridiculous.

Would love to see our government overturn that BS on the ethanol, and Thank God enough of my local stations have the non-ethanol version where it is not too inconvenient to get. One thing I have tried to always do, is to fill up after every trip in the boat, to reduce the unfilled area that can create condensation on cool nights/hot days.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby aunt betty » Fri May 25, 2018 8:21 am

The alcohol fuel is actually good about not getting wet.
That's all I got that's good to say. It already has the "heat" added. lol

If a farmer owned just one section of land. A square mile. 640 acres...
If that farmer grew all corn and grew a bumper crop that beats the world record for corn in Iowa or wherever has that record. (Iowa I think)
If that farmer converted his grain to fuel and tried to use that fuel to power his equipment to grow his next crop he would not have made enough fuel to harvest and might not have enough to plant it all. That's why it's a dumb ass idea.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Fri May 25, 2018 3:39 pm

Deltaman wrote:
DComeaux wrote:Non ethanol is available down here. Ethanol is bad is so many ways, an increase in the mixture is ridiculous.

Would love to see our government overturn that BS on the ethanol, and Thank God enough of my local stations have the non-ethanol version where it is not too inconvenient to get. One thing I have tried to always do, is to fill up after every trip in the boat, to reduce the unfilled area that can create condensation on cool nights/hot days.

I do the same.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Fri May 25, 2018 3:57 pm

I'm usually camping and running gas that I bring in cans.
Something my boat mechanic told me that stuck in my head is "use fuel stabilizer every time you put gas in". "It might be a while before the next time you go out and there is no way of predicting when". Then he added that, "About half my business is making stuff run again that sat too long with un-stabilized fuel in it".

I took that to heart and use stabilizer in pretty much everything I run with a small engine.
All them little carb troubles...what troubles?

He was trying to sell me the expensive evinrude fuel stabilizer stuff. I've been using marine stabil. It works.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Fri May 25, 2018 4:00 pm

There ain't no non-alcohol gasoline here it's corn country.
Sort of like if they were using rice-a-hol I bet there'd be no non rice-a-hol down there.
:lol:
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Fri May 25, 2018 5:34 pm

All good rice farmers will tell you that the very best way to cook rice is to make a pot, throw that one out and then make another.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Fri May 25, 2018 6:26 pm

You get twice the mileage on Uncle Bens.
aunt betty

Postby don novicki » Tue May 29, 2018 7:31 am

I don't know about E-15 but a few years ago I went to Sask hunting and tried some E-85 cuz it was way cheaper than gasoline at the time. Never again. My mileage went from about 19/hwy to 11mpg hwy with the E-85. What good is it if you have to fill up twice as often?
don novicki

Postby aunt betty » Tue May 29, 2018 8:29 am

I don't know. Ask Rick.
aunt betty

Postby asmythe32 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:02 am

We need a hyvee in champaign. They sell premium that is ethanol free. I would pay the extra to not have ethanol in it. Or you could YouTube removing ethanol from gas. Put water in the gas and ethanol bonds to it and seperates. Leaves you with pure gas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
asmythe32

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:18 am

It's $3.60 in Bloomington.

I'm running the cheap shit my engines are all set up for it. Tried running the high dollar premium in both the boat and truck and really could not tell any difference in performance. Read (past tense) up on it and found that if the engine is designed to run on the 10% then you run it. If you're not running something with a high compression ratio the regular flavor works best.
For instance my Johnson or older Evinrude don't really need premium gas. I was using it for years wasting money.
The thing that keeps my all my small engine stuff running is religious use of fuel stabilizer.
aunt betty

Return to The Blind