Red Flag Law

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Red Flag Law

Postby aunt betty » Thu May 31, 2018 6:40 am

Illinois is about to pass a law that enables law enforcement to confiscate your firearms if a family member or police officer says so.

WTF? You mean my brother in California can just up and decide that he thinks I'm a threat, call the cops, they come and bash my door down and take mah guns?!? (for six months)
The process for getting them back involves going thru mental health treatment.

Now this is where it gets retarded imo.
Once you've been thru a mental health facility (which does not exist) you will be asked to fill out a form to get your FOID back. On that form is a line that says "Have you ever been committed to a mental institution?". yes or no.

Say yes on that form and you're not getting a FOID or a gun period in Illinois. Not allowed to possess firearms without the FOID here. Can't buy ammo either.
The process is to disarm you permanently. They're lying and saying it isn't.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Re: Red Flag Law

Postby Deltaman » Thu May 31, 2018 7:06 am

AB, I have heard that in some Northern states, you have to register all guns, not just hand guns.........is it that way in IL?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu May 31, 2018 8:29 am

Deltaman wrote:AB, I have heard that in some Northern states, you have to register all guns, not just hand guns.........is it that way in IL?

No.

FOID card and all guns must be transported cased and unloaded including in your boat going to and from the duck blind.
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Thu May 31, 2018 11:33 am

It depends on what you call "register" and it also depends on how you define the word "if". :lol:

Now suppose I go to Dick's Sporting Goods at the mall today and purchase me a brand new Beretta. (not likely)
I'd have to fill out some paperwork that get's sent to the Illinois State Police and probably something national as well.

Please explain how that is not putting me on a list of people who own guns and specifically ID'ing me as owning that shotgun with serial number -------.

If I bought it off someone who advertised in the newspaper or went to a gun show in south dakota it might be different but I'm talking about when I buy one here.

There's a waiting period everywhere I thought. Long guns are like a day or two. Two here.
Pistols? I don't play with pistols my mom says they're dangerous. :mrgreen:
I think it's 5 days on a pistol.

Really don't know for sure I don't buy a gun every day. Last time was enough. I love my AL390.
aunt betty

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu May 31, 2018 12:56 pm

I agree it is BS, but the difference is that I just brought 4 guns into Illinois on Tuesday. Three I inherited from my Dad and one from my grandfather. In some states I would have to fill out a form and provide serial numbers. In Illinois I don't have to do anything.

In NY, I would have had to drop off the handguns at a firearms dealer and then applied for permission to possess my handguns.
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Thu May 31, 2018 1:11 pm

Shouldn't the same discriminatory process be applied to the purchase of ANY product that can be used to maim or kill?
No but I had to throw it out there FFS.

That pocket knife.
Utility knives were used to hijack 4 airplanes allegedly.
Deadly little blades.
Ban them. Ha!
aunt betty

Return to The Blind