New kind of fish hooks.

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

New kind of fish hooks.

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:07 am

My 'buddy" made a big deal the other day. "Let's go fishing" he said.
So I spring into action and turn the duck blind back into a bass boat.
The trailer lights had an issue too.

Bought a license and some Bomber lures from Ft Smith Arkansas, a proud state with a proud fishing heritage, and they think they invented fishing with lures.
The first fish I snagged was a channel cat. (Bass lure?)
The front treble hook looked like it got ran over by a truck. Wasn't easy getting it out.

So I switched poles to the other one that had another brand new Bomber tied on.
Caught a nice little bass and found that the hooks were thesame condition. That's when I looked at the third one that wasn't opened yet. It was the same. So I got out the last of the 4. An older version of the exact same lure. Same hook condition.

So...is there some new hook style that I've not discovered where a treble hook has two barbs on one side and one on the other?

I've re-hooked a lure before but a brand new one?!?!? $5.88 and they can only supply one decent hook with the other bent/smashed? Check your hooks I guess.

My buddy punked out and made another vague appointment to go fishing. I'll bet you guys $50 that it never happens. He wants me to take him in a boat so he can sit on the bank and fish for catfish? I'm like....uhhhh....hell no.
I got a lawn chair he can have.

Oh yeah that little bass was a sriper and fought like mad. They always feel like "OMG it's huge" then a regular size fish appears.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Re: New kind of fish hooks.

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:48 am

I don't fish many hard baits AB, but the ones I do fish, vary as far as hook quality, and have never seen barbs on both sides of the hook point. No reason you can't flatten one of them down with a pair of pliers, or even change out with Gamakatsu or some other quality hook manufacturer.The difference between MirrorLure and Rapala top water baits is striking, with the MirrorLure hooks sometimes being sharp, sometimes not :( The hooks on a Rapala Skitterwalk are usually razor sharp. I keep a small hook file at the ready, anytime I fish anyway, and always check before casting the first time. Very frustrating to lose a good fish because of faulty equipment.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: New kind of fish hooks.

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:03 am

I'm going to just buy a box of them red hooks and change them.
It's not the first time.
I truly suck at fishing but make up for it with persistence.
Tend to either give the fish away or release them.
I'm sure the channel cat from yesterday got used.
Was not prepared to take fish. Seriously all I took was two poles and some lures.
No net. Was spose to be "catch and release bass".
Cats spawned early I think.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to The Blind