How do you put the line on.

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

How do you put the line on.

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:08 pm

When you spool a reel like a zebco 202 do you let the line un-spool like it's a hose on a reel or do you lay the spool down and just let it come off the side? I've always done it the first way where the spool that the line comes on spins as you reel.
Use a pencil or a stick.
I'm re-spooling and figured I better check and see which is right.
When I used the open-face reels I did it the other way. (I think)
It's been a while.
My lines are twisted sisters.
So far all my rhino rods are indestructible. They're ancient.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Re: How do you put the line on.

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:43 pm

I've done both. I have no idea which is better and I'm not convinced it really matters.

I'm actually sold on the expensive braid. It never tangles, it is crazy strong, it casts great, and it seems to last forever. Other than topwater, you need to use a leader, and it is tough to cut. I've had one rod with the first time I got some to try that is many years old and still going strong. I just bought some line to spoil up a second rod with it.
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:17 pm

I'll try braided once. That way I can pack 20-pound test and cast like a crappy pole...right?
I think I'll make leaders with 8-pound mono to save that 'spensive line.
I'm casting for bass and the 3-year-old mono sucked.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:03 pm

Bit on the spider wire. First time for not using mono.
It's pretty slick and you can tell it don't stretch much.
Usually use 8 or 10 pound test. Went for the 20. Seems to be about the same diameter as what I usually use.
Can't wait to hook up with something bassy.

I bet I'll be able to feel the lure wiggling. They say this new-fangled stuff is sensitive.
aunt betty

Postby Deltaman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:18 am

AB, I fish quite a bit and re-spool on a fairly regular basis (typically bait casters and open face reels), and my dumbarse has never figured out the correct method of spool to reel either...........seems like the mono will always have some twist. After filling the spool and cutting the line, I usually put the rod in the back of my truck, grab the tag end of the line with the spool released, and walk through a few yards until it has all been pulled out. I then lay it on the ground, walk back to my truck, and reel it aback in, using two fingers to put some tension on it. Any twists in the line will untwist as the line is reeled in. Much easier when in the boat, where you can idle forward, while releasing the line, and then reel it back in, but be sure to be on the look out for other boats.........Was in the middle of the bay a few years ago, nobody anywhere near me, and had just re-spooled a reel and was letting the line out as I was idling forward, apparently not paying much attention, when I felt a hard tug.........and my reflexes caused me to use my thumb as a brake..........dammit man, two democrats in a bow-ride had come out of nowhere, and crossed my wake.......needless to say, had to re-spool, and burnt the shet out of my thumb to boot :o
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:23 am

aunt betty wrote:I'll try braided once. That way I can pack 20-pound test and cast like a crappy pole...right?
I think I'll make leaders with 8-pound mono to save that 'spensive line.
I'm casting for bass and the 3-year-old mono sucked.

The leader is because the line is not even close to transparent. Spooky fish will see it. Topwater, I tie straight to the hook.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:09 am

aunt betty wrote:When you spool a reel like a zebco 202 do you let the line un-spool like it's a hose on a reel or do you lay the spool down and just let it come off the side? I've always done it the first way where the spool that the line comes on spins as you reel.
Use a pencil or a stick.
I'm re-spooling and figured I better check and see which is right.
When I used the open-face reels I did it the other way. (I think)
It's been a while.
My lines are twisted sisters.
So far all my rhino rods are indestructible. They're ancient.

Spooling from the end of the spool that lets the line comes off the spool bent the same direction it goes on the reel seems even more important to prevent the line's memory from creating twists on closed faced spinners, like Zebcos, than on open-faced spinning reels. Any grandfather should know this.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:12 am

Rick wrote:Any grandfather should know this.

There's a book out there somewhere that says what's right however there are two others that disagree.

Maybe I should try out them procaster magforce bait-casting reels. That price tag, $60, was from back when gas was a little over a buck a gallon. I'd have a mess reel quick. :)
20180606_110826.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:18 am

We're going catfishing. It's June and they bite big time.
Going to try something different this year.
Usually I take like a whole afternoon throwing the bait net to catch the first shad. Enough to bait 50 hooks I mean.
As soon as you get the lines baited the bait fish appear and you can catch a dozen with every cast of the net,

So...
I'm going to start out with hot dogs soaked in vinegar and garlic.
Turning $1.60 worth of hot dogs into 10 or 15 nice channel cats or blues is quite a trick.

Then we can piddle around with casting the net for shad (tomorrow's bait).
If there's time we'll hit the rip-rap on a certain bridge and try for some bass.

Trotline is where I catch all my "eatin' fish". I usually get 10 or 15 fish with 50 hooks out overnight.
Maybe a couple turtles.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:23 pm

Set up the lines last night. Went down to the next bridge and cast lures a while. Hooked up with a BIG one that got off. Then caught it's little brother. Caught another halfway decent keeper channel catfish on a bomber lure. Went back and nothing had touched the hot dog bait. Shad jumping everywhere but I'd already decided that I'm using the hot dogs for one night.

There's always a something good. Yesterday I found the right map that shows the old creek bed. Drove right to it and set up in about 6' of water where everything else is 2 or 3. Big flat. My buddy was stunned because he thought it was suppose to be deep everywhere and had bank fished there for years. Knowing where the 8-9' deep water is was worth the trip for him.
Took him straight to it. Made me look like I know what I'm doing. (I don't)

The boat dock is actually floating again! Was sitting on dry ground for months.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:45 am

That hot dog bait works.
Was totally expecting it to be a failure.
Every hook was cleaned off. Some had obviously had fish on them that twisted off.
Had 4 on the line but one was dead and a turtle feasted.

Hot dog bait is easy.
Cut em up into 4 or 5 pieces each. Put into a mason jar. Add vinegar and garlic powder. Put lid on an shake. Make it up a couple days ahead and it'll be pretty stinky. I put it in the fridge. Not into rotten bait but I know it works better.

The downside. I took my wife. ;)

She has some sort of mental block that kicks in whenever pressure is put on to do something quickly or correctly. If it absolutely has to be right and I tell her the right way she ignores and tries it her own new "can 't yuh just?" way. In a boat on the water that's just not cool.

If it has to be done quickly and there's a time, limit ie: BOAT BLOWN BY WIND SO HURRY, it will take her ten times longer especially if the word 'hurry' is used. Re-baiting that line was 50 hooks of hell. Used shad because I left the hot dog stuff behind. Knew it wouldn't work. Wrong. Shad works better for some reason. The fish get hooked at a much higher rate.
Bet I get two or three times as many fish using shad.
There's a new ten-fish limit on channel and blues. Someone must've seen me with a boat full. :mrgreen:
aunt betty

Postby outboardman » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:32 am

Proper way to spool a reel for Zebco and spinning reels you lay the spool on the floor label up , wind it through your Rod onto the real, if the factory did its job this would be right however always spool about a quarter of a spool then take the line and pull about 10 ft off your real on to the floor and see if it's tangly if it is turn the spool over label down and try again. For baitcasters use a pencil or Rod through the spool make sure the line comes off over the top of the spool onto your baitcaster yeah it's that simple. Of course the absolute best way to spool a reel as with a spooling machine but if you don't have one this will work fine.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
Got to love the mud.
outboardman

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:02 am

Thanks bro. Have been doing it backwards. Got braided line now and I guess it don't matter.
Maybe I'll go back to mono but after just one day of casting with the braided I'm hooked. I can hit the shoreline right up within a couple inches. I fish riprap with steep banks. Bass pile up in the shade at a certain time in the evening.
Casting up to the edge is pretty crucial in order to get the bomber lure in the zone.

The one tiny thing I don't like about braided is that weird noise it makes when reeling. Got green colored and the fish don't seem to see it. The lake I fish is sort of green.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:10 am

Night b4 last I threw the cast net about 30 times. Last night had this little cramp then oh man what a night.
All cramped up with a knot between my shoulder blades. It's fun catching the bait but damn does it have to hurt like that?
All "Ben Gay" an shit.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:41 am

Last nite I pulled lines. Had an enormous flat head on. One turtle and a keeper channel cat. That flat head made the channel look tiny. Next I trolled around trying to use the information on my detailed map. No luck. Saw a lot of fish on the scanner but they were just chillin'.

Saw this big fish surfacing by one of the piers that hold the bridge up. Cast over at it a couple times and hooked up with OMG a beast. An even bigger flat head than the one that I had folded in half to get into the cooler. I had the fish at the side of the boat going, "wtf am I going to do with this?". Had a little trout net. Left the big boy in the truck. Was not expecting a 20# flathead on a line. Got it to the side of the boat, pulled my lure out of it's mouth, and off it went. Barely hooked.
Biggest fish I ever hooked up to.

I'm putting the boat up.
Nobody wants to fish off a boat?
All these people bugging me about "lets go fishing" but they're all scared of water.
Gee God.
aunt betty

Postby outboardman » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:04 am

aunt betty wrote:Thanks bro. Have been doing it backwards. Got braided line now and I guess it don't matter.
Maybe I'll go back to mono but after just one day of casting with the braided I'm hooked. I can hit the shoreline right up within a couple inches. I fish riprap with steep banks. Bass pile up in the shade at a certain time in the evening.
Casting up to the edge is pretty crucial in order to get the bomber lure in the zone.

The one tiny thing I don't like about braided is that weird noise it makes when reeling. Got green colored and the fish don't seem to see it. The lake I fish is sort of green.
Yeah that funny noise when you're reeling is the braid cutting your eyes on your rod.

Got to love the mud.
outboardman

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:20 am

outboardman wrote:
aunt betty wrote:Thanks bro. Have been doing it backwards. Got braided line now and I guess it don't matter.

Yeah that funny noise when you're reeling is the braid cutting your eyes on your rod.

I know. It's an excuse to buy a new rhino rod. rofl.

Hey man I been saving a boat engine project and it's going to happen eventually. Will need your help. It's that old evinrude 15 horse that's disguised as a 10.
Already had a thread and trouble-shooted the motor. It needs a new power pack. How we determined that is the new kill-button I put on was wired right but would not kill it. Have to use choke to stop it.
I'll start up again and send you a pm asking the who what where when and why on "who to order it from".

I just don't have the confidence to wrestle the correct answer off the online sources I use. (or used to use)
Would you mind?
aunt betty

Postby outboardman » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:46 pm

aunt betty wrote:
outboardman wrote:

Hey man I been saving a boat engine project and it's going to happen eventually. Will need your help. It's that old evinrude 15 horse that's disguised as a 10.
Already had a thread and trouble-shooted the motor. It needs a new power pack. How we determined that is the new kill-button I put on was wired right but would not kill it. Have to use choke to stop it.
I'll start up again and send you a pm asking the who what where when and why on "who to order it from".

I just don't have the confidence to wrestle the correct answer off the online sources I use. (or used to use)
Would you mind?
One side of the kill switch should go to ground good ground battery other side to the black with a yellow stripe from the power back. What do you think is wrong with the power pack, to kill the motor manually take the black with a yellow stripe from the power pack with the motor running touch it to ground it'll kill the motor just be kind of careful you can get shock from that black yellow.

Got to love the mud.
outboardman

Postby outboardman » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:47 pm

outboardman wrote:
aunt betty wrote:
outboardman wrote:

Would you mind?
One side of the kill switch should go to ground good ground battery other side to the black with a yellow stripe from the power back. What do you think is wrong with the power pack, to kill the motor manually take the black with a yellow stripe from the power pack with the motor running touch it to ground it'll kill the motor just be kind of careful you can get shock from that black yellow.

If that doesn't kill the motor you got a bad power pack I have seen that more than once in fact

Got to love the mud.
outboardman

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:41 am

Pretty sure we already did this part. I'll try it again. The black with yellow stripe wire seems awful familiar. It's been sitting there a year. Adam gave me a nicer newer more modern engine. Both are reliable but if a smart GW in Arkansas starts tinkering with my "safety" to see if it works....it don't. One little violation can lead to many if I get the right guy. That guy is at Big Lake and I know it.
He's ex-coastie and a real stickler about the kill switch lanyards. He must have been on one of the fatality calls where a teenage girl got killed. Something like that.

I actually talked to him about this motor. It's old enough where it don't have the lanyard switch. He suggested that it's easy to switch the push-button with a lanyard thing. He also said that he would not hesitate to ticket anyone running one like mine without the safety lanyard. My motor was on the stand at the time and still is until I fix that issue.
Bought and installed the thing using the right wires and it don't work. We decided it's the power pack.
aunt betty

Postby Deltaman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:51 am

AB, a kill switch is not required for small motors under 40 hp here in AL (but do understand you live in a very libtard state :( ) ..........have you confirmed that the kill switch is a requirement for your small motor?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:40 am

In Arkansas it is. Not Illinois.
The motor I currently run has the lanyard and it works.
The "spare" doesn't. Having a spare outboard is priceless.
It's probably a great idea to use the lanyard and have it working. I hunt alone on big water. There actually was an "accident" where a guy fell out on the lake I hunt and never got found. His boat was found going in circles. They assumed he'd been chopped up or something. I think he's in Mexico with his new wife.

My spidey-sense is telling me to fix the spare motor.

OBM...here's the pics. I've already connected to the black and yellow wire as you told me like a year ago or better.
The switch is connected to the correct wire and grounded to the frame. Maybe that's the problem.
The switch can be wired two different ways. I'll check it again but am pretty sure that when you push the button it closes the circuit from that wire to ground. Pretty sure we went thru all this and decided "needs power pack". I never ordered one because I got lost in the internet super highway. Must've took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

The motor runs it just won't stop with the kill switch. Has been that way for like twenty years. One day the kill button quit working and apparently my old man never noticed it or he'd have fixed it. He was anal about his circuitry. If you ever see the control panel he designed for this boat...has led's and was put in in 1978. I seriously thought it was the switch. Imagine my surprise when I got it on the bench and tested it. Push the button the meter goes beep. Rats. It was wired correctly when I took it apart.

20180620_072858.jpg

20180620_072959.jpg
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:29 am

This one?
https://www.ebay.com/p/1993-Johnson-EVI ... 322&chn=ps

This little bit of information might be important.
20180620_082657 (1).jpg

That last number is a 7.
EO199977 I think that means it's a 1977 model.
(yeah that's duct tape. I should be ashamed)
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:26 pm

I put out lines long enough to catch a handful of cats so I can distribute them to my less fortunate neighbors.
Pulled my lines two weeks ago.
Watched a guy try onions with no success online.
I bet garlic would work. Just put a clove on each hook. I'll try it next spring.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:20 pm

Don't try it unless you think it'll work. I have not tried it but the pickled garlic hot dogs all disappeared and I did catch a couple fish on 50 hooks. Could tell where four or five had twisted off. It rained a lot so I didn't check lines for two days or I probably would have caught the twisters. When I switched to cut shad I caught seven fish on 50 hooks.
I'm just a rookie at fishing and get lucky sometimes.
aunt betty

Return to The Blind