Gots me some Honey

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Gots me some Honey

Postby Deltaman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Got a USPS box full of plastic honey bears, with both light and dark honey, and a couple containers of honey comb from AB today!
Never really thought about bees making different colored honey from different flowers, but now see, and can taste the difference.
Did a taste test in the office this morning, and ended up sharing over half if it with coworkers. Thanks AB :beer:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: Gots me some Honey

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:34 pm

Aw shucks. It's pretty dog gone cool having a million females working for me.
They make so much and I can only eat a little.

We make some honey candy every year that's divine.
I can't find the recipe but here it is from memory.

Honey caramel
2 cups honey
2 cups cream
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups white sugar
1 pound of butter
Vanilla

Basically toss it all into a big pot and heat it to 265 (hard ball) We use a 6-quart saucepan. The one with two handles.
Pour into a cake pan and wait until tomorrow. Cut it into pieces and wrap it with wax paper

THEN HIDE IT. It will disappear.

I'm not so sure about the pound of butter but do recall that it's got butter in it and it's creamy and buttery. Maybe a half-pound would work. Tinker around it's a forgiving recipe. Oh yeah some of that butter is to coat the cake pan. When you pour do not just let it hit the same spot or it will burn the butter off that spot and stick. Move around as you pour.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Here is an example of what he's talking about. Two colors.
The light stuff is from spring and the dark is the fall crop.

Spring is flowers and trees. Fruit trees etc.
Fall is weeds and fallen fruits. Goldenrod mostly. When the goldenrod crop is coming in you can smell it. Smells like a gym locker room and you can smell it all over the yards. That goofy smell is money.

We make these around Christmas. Can't ship these. The glass would never make it. Cute little jars called Muth Jars.
They were originally used in the 1800's when the whole honey-buying experience changed. Up until Muth Jars all honey was sold by the combs. Neat little jars with corks. Prior to the muth jar there was a lot of people using upside down fish bowls on hives to make a sale. Imagine that. Honey comb in a fish bowl on the table. Getting the bees out must've been one heck of a trick.

20170913_113817.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:44 am

Very nice, looks like a beautiful product. A friend had brought me some chunks of comb.........divine. A co-worker has a few hives in Mississippi that produce a nice dark honey, lot of pine trees in his area with some weeds and also fruit trees he's planted.
Darren

Return to The Blind