I shot this puppy 5 hrs ago

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

I shot this puppy 5 hrs ago

Postby Mornin Beef » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:50 pm

We are in the split where I am at. Eric can vouch. I really needed this stalk. This was a 50 min stalk. Last day before opening of rifle which is like Nam'. :fishing:

Carp
Mornin Beef

Re: I shot this puppy 5 hrs ago

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:02 pm

Man you keep bringing my name into posts. You live near me or something?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:09 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:Man you keep bringing my name into posts. You live near me or something?

He's using you for credibility.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:10 pm

:lol:

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:11 pm

I'll never get why people hang deer from the head.
assateague

Postby Mornin Beef » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:12 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:Man you keep bringing my name into posts. You live near me or something?

This is actually true.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Mornin Beef » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:14 pm

assateague wrote:I'll never get why people hang deer from the head.

When's its warm I like to skin from the neck. If I am aging in the cold late season I hang from the feet.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:17 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

This is actually true.

I am the least credible person I know.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

This is actually true.

But why the need to prove where you are from?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Ive always hung from head, whatx the advantage from hanging by feet? Even the butchers hang by jaw, just like cows
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:19 pm

I hang from the head as I don't guy the critter until I have it skinned and quartered out. The last thing info is cut the belly to get the heart and loins. If I hung but from the feet I have to deal with the ass and bladder right off the bay, from the head I start with a neck roast and work my way down, I never even have to sell with its colon or pisser until I'm cutting off the rear haunches. Don't knock it till you try it
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:19 pm

Didn't know you live in Oregon Eric
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:25 pm

jehler wrote:

I hang from the head as I don't guy the critter until I have it skinned and quartered out. The last thing info is cut the belly to get the heart and loins. If I hung but from the feet I have to deal with the ass and bladder right off the bay, from the head I start with a neck roast and work my way down, I never even have to sell with its colon or pisser until I'm cutting off the rear haunches. Don't knock it till you try it

You can do the same thing hanging it from the feet. Skin it, cut off the head and hide, cut off the front shoulders, bone out the neck, cut out the back strap, slice belly, gut, inner tenderloins, saw and separate hams. No mess and in the freezer in about 1/2 hour. I do not hang deer to cool in any weather. If too warm it spoils if it is cool enough it dries out too much and wastes too much meat. I don't field dress unless absolutely necessary.
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:25 pm

jehler wrote:Didn't know you live in Oregon Eric

Hopefully Olly is taking care of it.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:27 pm

jehler wrote:

Are you as drunk as I am right now? Looking at all the typos my phone "corrects" for me after I hit enter
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:29 pm

Yeah, I started on gin Martinis at 6...
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:31 pm

jehler wrote:Yeah, I started on gin Martinis at 6...

Startef on sam octoberfest at 6 as well. Glad ive gotta be up at 5
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:35 pm

I'm not hunting in the morn, we will go out after it gets light so we can see where they are at. Might even say screw it and go fishing, haven't dragged a line in a long time.
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:35 pm

MuddyWaterWarlock wrote:
jehler wrote:

You can do the same thing hanging it from the feet. Skin it, cut off the head and hide, cut off the front shoulders, bone out the neck, cut out the back strap, slice belly, gut, inner tenderloins, saw and separate hams. No mess and in the freezer in about 1/2 hour. I do not hang deer to cool in any weather. If too warm it spoils if it is cool enough it dries out too much and wastes too much meat. I don't field dress unless absolutely necessary.

Huh? You are obviously oblivious to the taste of a deer that has been hanging for four months. Kill my last deer in november and butcher in march/april. You wont taste better
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:38 pm

MuddyWaterWarlock wrote:
jehler wrote:

Has to be hung from the head, otherwise I'd be cutting of the parts its hanging from and it wouldn't be hung, then I would have to re hang it but there wouldn't be anything left but the head, so why not just start at the head and be done with it?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:39 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:

Ive always hung from head, whatx the advantage from hanging by feet? Even the butchers hang by jaw, just like cows

Easier to butcher, IMO. And any blood left in it (which is usually very, very little will drain toward the head (something you don't eat) instead of settling in the hams. I butcher mine from the gambrel, so it's easy to have the big and small roasts right there in front of me, and the backstraps come out best from hips to shoulders. If I started at the shoulders, it'd be harder to find the start of the backstrap, since it tails in behind the shoulders. I have just always done it that way. I can have a carcass "de-meated" and ready to go inside and put it up in about 10 minutes. If I tried to do it "backwards" I have a feeling it'd take me forever.
assateague

Postby jehler » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:41 pm

assateague wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Easier to butcher, IMO. And any blood left in it (which is usually very, very little will drain toward the head (something you don't eat) instead of settling in the hams. I butcher mine from the gambrel, so it's easy to have the big and small roasts right there in front of me, and the backstraps come out best from hips to shoulders. If I started at the shoulders, it'd be harder to find the start of the backstrap, since it tails in behind the shoulders. I have just always done it that way. I can have a carcass "de-meated" and ready to go inside and put it up in about 10 minutes. If I tried to do it "backwards" I have a feeling it'd take me forever.

Way easier to get the back straps starting from the top, you cut the whole shoulder and front leg off before you start the bbackstrap. Want to race?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:42 pm

I've done it both ways, hanging from the legs is like posting without tapatalk
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Mornin Beef » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:42 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

This is actually true.

But why the need to prove where you are from?

I dont know. Its under my avatar right?
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:43 pm

assateague wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

I dont do it enough to debate. Trust you though. I usually send mine to the butcher and I know he hooks by the jaw to butcher.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:46 pm

jehler wrote:
assateague wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Way easier to get the back straps starting from the top, you cut the whole shoulder and front leg off before you start the bbackstrap. Want to race?

I'll race ya. If I shoot one tomorrow night, I'll get the Bug to record me cutting it off the bone Sunday night. It's on like Donkey Kong.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:48 pm

assateague wrote:
jehler wrote:
assateague wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

I'll race ya. If I shoot one tomorrow night, I'll get the Bug to record me cutting it off the bone Sunday night. It's on like Donkey Kong.

How about this. Ill ref the race. All venny involved goes to Eric and the winner gets a sweet ribbon.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:48 pm

May have to wait until next year for my submission unless jr shoots one with a bow, I'm gonna miss the majority of this season while I'm in LA with the inda's.
Wondering what kind of handicap I should give you
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Mornin Beef » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:55 pm

I am gunna try to drop another one tomorrow. Think I got a good shot at a rack but since I dont care about racks i hope to get just another deer hung before sunday night.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:02 pm

I hung from the head once and it was a complete bitch to skin out. Took me over twice as long. I'll stick with ass up
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Next

Return to The Blind