Flu shot

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Flu shot

Postby don novicki » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:09 am

Well another year is here for the flu shot and big pharma as usual is rubbing their hands together with all the money they will make from a worthless shot that doesn't do its job. Of course the American public are total suckers and fall for all the hype. Last year's shot was so good 88,000 people died from the flu. As a retired RN I for one am glad that I don't have the shot rammed down my throat and threatened with termination if I didn't get one. The shot rarely covers the current strain, whatever that might be, but hey get one anyway even if it doesn't work. I love how they tell people that it will reduce symptoms. How dat possible if it's not the correct type of shot..............it's not. :qh:
don novicki

Re: Flu shot

Postby Rick » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:41 am

Used to get them free from Doc's hunting with us, but I'm one who always seemed to get a shot of flu with it.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:22 am

Some years the do a pretty good job and sometimes they miss the boat. Having gotten the flu twice in my life. The problem being that there are so many strains and they have to decide long in advance of flu season to have time to make the vaccine. Both times being quite devastating. I take it every year. Even if it cuts the risk by 50%, 50% less chance of getting a devastating illness is a huge benefit.

SpinnerMan

Postby Darren » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:52 am

Wife is a PA, adamant that no one in our household gets flu shot. Her report is that when she worked at hospitals, vast majority of docs declined it.

Knock on wood; flu any time is rough but during the season would be a real PIA considering hunt days lost.

Got a bad stomach bug in the 2007-2008 season, cost me a month of hunting and even when I got back after it I was very weak.
Darren

Postby don novicki » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:19 am

Yeah funny thing at the hospital. every nurse, aide, transporter,kitchen worker,maintenance guy, etc. HAD to get the shot, or be terminated, but oh no the almighty Dr. could pass, and that was ok.
don novicki

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:56 am

Darren wrote:Knock on wood; flu any time is rough but during the season would be a real PIA considering hunt days lost.

I don't give a damn about the lost hunting days. The flu I got last January damaged my heart. :o It kills a lot of people, sometimes even healthy people. A lot of people think they had the flu until they get the flu and realize they just had a cold or maybe some mild strain of the flu. It can fuck you up. My cardiologist said he had young healthy people die from it last year.

All indications are that I'm fine now. I just have annoying PVCs and PACs that flare up from time to time. Really annoying heart palpitations that can keep me up if they are happening at night.
SpinnerMan

Return to The Blind