Duck Opener South of Venice

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Duck Opener South of Venice

Postby Deltaman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:09 pm

Date: 11/10/18

Time: LST

Cloud Cover: Heavy

Wind Direction and Velocity: 25+ out of the North

Temperature: upper 40's

Moon phase:

Special Notes: Did not see the duck numbers we expected to see when scouting Thurs/Friday, and today's hunt confirmed

Waterfowl Activity: What we saw came as they should, but most of what we saw was bw teal and just a smattering of grays

Waterfowl Responsiveness: In our face when they came.

Hunters: Mike, Keith, and myself

Guns: Beretta A390, Benelli M1 (X2)

Malfunctions: Not putting up a spinner probably hurt us on the teal

Dog(s): Just me and a push pole

Special Equipment: Rain suit kept me warm in the strong wind

Curses: Roseau slapping me in the back of the head all morning

Kudos: Plenty of food, and not as many hunters in the area as usual.

Birds By Species: 1 Mottle, 3 Gadwalls, 5 BW Teal

Photo Ops: none

Lagniappe: Hunting with the same old friends down there for the past 10+ years, and understanding that it is not always all about the ducks. Broke bread with a neighboring camp Saturday night, and watched the first half of the LSU game. Damn nice to be staying in a camp with hot water and 3 bedrooms, but still being about 20 miles South of Venice.

*** Heard that two duck hunters lost their lives Saturday in that mad as hell river outside of Venice. One of them was a 9 year old boy that was thrown out of the boat in the rough river, with waders and no life jacket????? and was with his dad........cannot fathom......... The other was a mud boat that started taking on water and sank, with only two of them making it to the bank. That big river demands respects........
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: Duck Opener South of Venice

Postby Deltaman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:12 pm

Waited until daylight on Sunday, hoping to find some birds to set up on. After two hours of scouting, said the hell with it and headed back to the camp to clean up and head back up the river. Heard some shooting, but not a lot, and we did not see any concentration of birds anywhere we looked. Had heard good reports prior to our trip, and can only imagine that the front took the birds with it. We did fish a little bit and caught as many 1-4 lb blue cats that we wanted, so there's that!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: Duck Opener South of Venice

Postby Rick » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:35 pm

Sad news about the drownings. Puts whether we kill a few ducks in proper perspective.
Rick

Return to The Blind