Duck Opener/Mobile,AL

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Duck Opener/Mobile,AL

Postby Deltaman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:52 am

Date: Friday, 11/23/18

Time: LST

Cloud Cover: Mostly

Wind Direction and Velocity: North 10-15 mph

Temperature: Mid 40's

Moon phase: Full

Special Notes: First hunt out of new boat, a custom build, and gift from Stepson. A one piece hull, 1/8" thick, with the sides bent as opposed to being welded. 13.5' long, unsure of exact width, but know it is 2" wider than my LaSarge.

Waterfowl Activity: Very Slow. Hunted an odd place that the Mottles and what few Mallards we saw were using, but away from the opening day masses!

Waterfowl Responsiveness: Saw very few birds, and for an opener, not the usual continuous boom boom as usual. Had one Greenhead/Mottle mix commit suicide, and that was it!

Hunters: Stepson (Dustin and myself

Guns: Benelli SBE II and Nova

Malfunctions: None

Dog(s): Just me

Special Equipment: Used duck sneak for the hunt and anchored the big boat on river edge, covered with camo netting

Curses: No Ducks

Kudos: 1 shot, 1 duck

Birds By Species: 1 Greenhead/Mottle hybrid

Photo Ops: None of the hunt, but did remember to take a pic or two of the new boat

Lagniappe: Always an adventure with Dustin

Here is a pic of the beginning of the hull, with Dustin, the boat builder

Finished boat:

Finished boat:

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: Duck Opener/Mobile,AL

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:08 am

That’s a beauty! Nice work by Dustin! I too heard slow reports from buddies down your way. What a difference a year makes.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:40 am

Super sweet rig! Love the pods on the stern, and of course Yamaha motor.
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:58 pm

Thanks y'all, it is a tank! He put this one together between jobs, and the the bottom and outside sides of the pods are actually part of the one piece hull. He totaled my old LaSarge a few years ago, and has been promising me a new boat ever since. I have since bought another LaSarge, and sold it when he completed this one. Her is what i found when I came home after he had hunted that morning:

When I saw it, was ready to wring his neck.........but he was asleep, and that may have saved his life. As I lay in bed that night, seething, I came to realize that he was lucky to be alive, and although quite pissed, kept myself in check the next day, knowing that the boat could be replaced, he could not.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:02 pm

Deltaman wrote:...knowing that the boat could be replaced, he could not.

There it is.
Rick

Return to The Blind