Duck Opener 2nd Day.Mobile, AL

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Duck Opener 2nd Day.Mobile, AL

Postby Deltaman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:09 am

Date: Saturday 11/24

Time: LST

Cloud Cover: Lot'so and plenty of fog

Wind Direction and Velocity: Light out of NE

Temperature: Low 50's

Moon phase: Full yesterday

Special Notes: Fog, but not pea soup, and able to navigate fine without light.

Waterfowl Activity: Much better than yesterday. Found a small wad of Gadwalls in an obscure location after yesterday's hunt, and glad we left early this morning, just beating another party to the spot by 15 minutes.

Waterfowl Responsiveness: What came was pretty much all in, just hard to judge distance in the fog.

Hunters: Dustin and myself

Guns: SBE II and Nova

Malfunctions: Damn Benelli clicks on Dustin's Nova. Pretty sure it is from abuse and not cleaning regularly, as when he slammed the shells in, the gun shot fine, but sure hated missing several close opps

Dog(s): Me

Special Equipment: Hunted out of the new boat this morning, as the water was 1.5' over the bank from the South wind yesterday afternoon, and we were able to pull the boat on the bank and blind out with several stalks of bamboo.

Curses: Just the fog, but not so sure it didn't help us this morning.

Kudos: Happy to get some shooting compared to yesterday

Birds By Species: 6 Gadwalls

Photo Ops: Did not have camera

Lagniappe: Easy morning
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: Duck Opener 2nd Day.Mobile, AL

Postby Darren » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:54 pm

Nice to scout birds and get on them the next day, good work. Is the "click" malfunction due to just not slamming the slide fully forward on loading? Didn't know the benelli click's applied to pumps.
Darren

Re: Duck Opener 2nd Day.Mobile, AL

Postby Deltaman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:05 pm

Darren, I did not think so either, and the first time I have seen it, other than last year's opener. Last year, I bought it brand new for him (he can tear up a bowling ball), and on opening day, it shot one time, and would never fire again. Had to send it back to factory, and they supposedly re-seated it, as the firing pin was barely striking the shell. Unsure if it is the same issue or not, amazing how much abuse he has given that gun since then, and I believe this time it was due to just being dirty. He hunts pigs too, and between that and ducks, his gun takes a beating, and the reason I bought the pump. He found that if he slammed teh shells into the chamber, they shot ok.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Return to The Blind