Storm Front Moving Thru

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Storm Front Moving Thru

Postby Deltaman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:41 am

Looks like a repeat of last Thursday, where we had a strong line of storms moving from East to West, and based on what the radar is showing, looks like it has already passed over the LA boot heel today, and is expected to hit us (Mobile, AL) this afternoon. Last week, there were several tornados spawned, and I am curious if this one is as strong. Rick or Dave (or anybody else in the area), was the storm activity as bad as they are making it out to be with this front?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: Storm Front Moving Thru

Postby Darren » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:49 am

Really bad in N. Louisiana overnight. Not much of anything here in BR currently, just occasional heavy rain. Last Thursday wasn't bad here either but was in other areas. Just luck of the draw for what part of the storm you get
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:34 pm

We expected it to be bad last week, and like you mentioned about this one, depends on what part of the storm passed over. Where teacup size hail and tornadoes predicted, we skated by with just a minimum of rain, where areas North of us got hammered.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Duck Engr » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:27 pm

We had a rough ride over in Troy Alabama with the one two weeks ago. Took a direct hit from an EF-1 but somewhat miraculously our house came out fine minus a section of fence falling over on my truck because some idiot wasn’t smart enough to back up ten feet when he parked the night before. Neighbors on all sides of us has moderate damage including chimneys blown off of houses and large oak trees blown down onto houses and detached garages/sheds. As much as I’ve beat myself up over the truck placement I gave myself a pat on the back for having about $2000 worth of tree work done last summer. There was a big pecan tree right next to our house that I know would have ended up on our bedroom had we left it standing. The street behind us on top of the hill and street across from us took the worst of it with it evidently mostly skipping over us. We heard the house creak as it passed. Pretty scary when all the power goes out and you can hear the roar bearing down on you. Wind was so loud I didn’t hear any of the trees fall or the fence fall on my truck.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:29 am

Just sitting here knocking wood...
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:57 am

Me too.............
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Duck Engr » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:27 am

As long as you don’t have me around, you should be ok. I seem to have a bullseye on me when it comes to tornados. Been impacted two other times in the last fifteen years. First was one on our timber land that was about 300 yards wide that snapped every pine tree off halfway up, spun it around, and drove it in the ground like an arrow. Started at our gate and went all the way to our back corner. I spent 3 weeks straight as a 15 year old backing our ford 7710 up to the treetops, standing on top of the cab so I could reach the end of the tree top that was sticking out of the ground, hooking a chain to it and dragging it to one of several burn pile sites we had set up. Had another hit my parents house while I was in college. I’d like a 20-25 year break from those stupid things.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby werewolf » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:47 am

yeah, storm is really bad
werewolf

Return to The Blind