Armadilla Killa.........Guilty

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Armadilla Killa.........Guilty

Postby Deltaman » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:28 pm

Damn Armadillo's have been tearing my yard up for the last few weeks, as the bastages have done every year, and I am determined to eradicate. Tried putting out a bunch of chewing gum around where I think their lair is, last year, as I was told by an old country gal that they would eat and it would kill them??? The gum disappeared, but not the Armadillos. Next time I tried to catch, i bought a bunch of 3' sections of 2' wooden fencing, forming a wide V in my yard near the woodline, with a trap at the bottom of the V. Damn thing dug under the fence........very frustrating. This year, as my yard started getting dug up, I noticed a worn path through the leaves, coming out of the woods behind my house, and followed it, seeing what appears to be a new lair, dug into the side of a small dirt rise. Made a trip to the local Tractor Supply store, and bought a trap. They actually had a 2'fer (one trap for opossum, raccoon, armadillo, and another for squirrels) for $29.99...... a deal! Anyway, I found a pinch point on the trail, between some bamboo and an oak tree, and set my new trap Saturday. Still empty yesterday morning, but when I checked it before work this morning, the trap had an inmate. Carried the trap up to my house with it going crazy, unsure if I wanted to kill, or transplant later. Didn't spend a lot of time thinking about it, grabbed my old trusty Crossman bb/pellet gun, and shot him in the head. Hated to kill something I won't eat, but dammit man, it felt good to eliminate the thing, and the trap will go back out tonight. I know that they are digging up the white grub worms in the yard, and I have bought some Spectracide granules to scatter in my yard, hopeful to eliminate the food source too. Anybody else having these issues?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: Armadilla Killa.........Guilty

Postby Darren » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:35 pm

Have some fun with it.......smoke bomb into their lair?

Sorry to hear of the destruction, have certainly seen them myself, and more commonly lately have moles tunneling all over.
Darren

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:33 pm

I can’t help but picture Bill Murray in Caddyshack.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Deltaman » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:03 pm

"Have some fun with it.......smoke bomb into their lair?"

Good idea Darren! Several years ago, when dealing with the same issue, I found a freshly dug hole very near where this one is now. I soaked a towel in gasoline, poked it as far into the hole with a stick, as I could get it, poured the remainder of the gas into the hole, and filled it in with dirt. My luck, it probably had a back door.......
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Darren » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:17 am

Deltaman wrote:"Have some fun with it.......smoke bomb into their lair?"

Good idea Darren! Several years ago, when dealing with the same issue, I found a freshly dug hole very near where this one is now. I soaked a towel in gasoline, poked it as far into the hole with a stick, as I could get it, poured the remainder of the gas into the hole, and filled it in with dirt. My luck, it probably had a back door.......

Applaud the effort, like the idea. :beer:
Darren

Postby Rick » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:28 am

Kept waiting for the part about lighting it.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:44 am

Afraid I'd burn the woods down Rick :o , it's in a place I've deposited yard leaves for years, but sounds like fun! Caught #2 this morning, and again, dispatched with several bb's to the head. Those damn things are hard to kill! First one was a male, and this one was a female, and hopefully, the only ones around, but I will put the trap back out, just in case...........destructive little bastards.......... I will say this, the trap I purchased from Tractor Supply was a good investment :thumbsup:
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:25 am

Nice work Deltaman!

Years ago back when I was a young teenager we had 7 living in and around our barn that were wreaking all kinds of havoc. We bout traps and we’re headed to set them. Pulled up just after a rain and all 7 were out in the pasture digging around. I grabbed my .22 rifle and went to work on them. Felt like a shooting gallery at the fair. Killed several and had to reload. By the time I reloaded, one had run over to a hole at the base of a tree but I could still see the top of his shell. I walked over and shot what I could see of him. He jumped a foot in the air and took off running straight at me. I was shooting with every high step I took backwards. He looked like Swiss cheese by the time he finally gave it up. I didn’t think my Dad was ever going to recover from laughing so hard.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Deltaman » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:34 am

DE, you made me laugh, as I can only imagine the havoc created, and glad you didn't shoot one of your feet in the process :lol:
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:26 am

Deltaman wrote:DE, you made me laugh, as I can only imagine the havoc created, and glad you didn't shoot one of your feet in the process :lol:

Haha that’s where the high-steppin came in handy!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:47 pm

This is about as entertaining a thread as I've seen for offseason banter. Great stories
Darren

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:40 pm

The possums on a half shell and I have a long standing rivalry.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Return to The Blind