Weekend Report from the Mobile Delta

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Weekend Report from the Mobile Delta

Postby Deltaman » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:32 am

Had not seen enough ducks to bother with so far this year, but with the 20+ mph South winds starting mid-morning last Saturday, I couldn't stand it. Grabbed a couple sacks of Gadwall decoys, loaded the boat, and headed to the causeway, figuring that even if I didn't hunt, I would get a true read on the duck numbers. Ran into one of my brothers at the launch, and talked him into running home to get a gun while I cut cane. Hunted a river bank (blinding out in the boat against the bank), where he had seen a few the day before, and hunted from 10:00 a.m. until our cut off at 1:00 p.m. Picked up 7 Gadwalls, and lost two more cripples in the river. Had the opportunity to kill a limit, but the strong winds and poor shooting hurt our chances :( Despite having a decent hunt, still did not see more than 100 ducks all morning). Spent some time scouting after the hunt, and decided to make an early hunt on Sunday. A piss poor showing of birds at daylight Sunday morning, had us picking up and moving, two different times, but finally found a handful of birds to hunt. The light NE wind did not help much, but what little we saw (maybe 25 birds in total), worked us, and being the only hunters in this bay, we had no distractions. Picked up 5 Gadwalls by the 1:00 p.m. cut off, and should've had at least 3 more. Wasn't a stellar weekend as far as duck numbers, but had two quality days with one of my brothers, in a duck blind. He even brought his little propane cooker yesterday, and we had Conecuh Sausage and scrambled eggs in the blind (pulled an Eric :thumbsup: ).
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: Weekend Report from the Mobile Delta

Postby Rick » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:09 pm

When you went from seeing a hundred on Saturday to a quarter of that Sunday, I thought, "Now we're talking slow."

Glad it worked out pretty well for you. Not many days we manage drop five of only twenty-five seen.
Rick

Re: Weekend Report from the Mobile Delta

Postby Darren » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:21 pm

Sounds like at least you got a few birds for freezer :thumbsup:
Darren

Return to The Blind