Swarming Termites

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Swarming Termites

Postby Deltaman » Wed May 19, 2021 7:48 am

I haven't seen the big swarms this year.......yet, but know they are due to show up. Last year, we had a couple of days where they were thick in the evenings, and we found the damn things in every room of our house. My wife was fit to be tied, so this year, I bought painter's tape, and taped up every crack where windows open, hoping to avoid a repeat. I know that lights are the draw for them, and when they show, ours will be dimmed as far as we can get them. Anybody else have to deal with these things every year?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: Swarming Termites

Postby Rick » Wed May 19, 2021 10:13 am

I'm afraid to answer for fear they'll become the next damn thing to hit Southwest Louisiana.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Thu May 20, 2021 8:34 am

Hope not Rick, I was just curious if the yearly swarming was very widespread. The first time I was even aware of them was several years ago, and last year was the worst by far for us. We'll see, fingers crossed!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Darren » Thu May 20, 2021 1:01 pm

Had them once this week and once last week, an annual event you can bet on around here.
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Fri May 21, 2021 8:44 am

Darren,
Did you have any problems with the recent flooding in BR?
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Darren » Fri May 21, 2021 9:49 am

Deltaman wrote:Darren,
Did you have any problems with the recent flooding in BR?

thankfully no we are in a very high spot, but it's pretty bad in many places. 9.48 inches fell in 3 hours earlier this week.

Our regional drainage is to bayous and ultimately rivers that drain to tidal lakes like Lake Maurepas and Lake Pontchartrain.

Well for the last week we've had very high east winds pushing water way up in those lakes........so the rivers aren't draining........so the bayous aren't draining......so the neighborhoods draining to those.......aren't draining.

It's a pretty big problem at the moment.
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Fri May 21, 2021 12:50 pm

Ma Nature can sure dish it out when she wants :o Know what you mean about the strong East winds, stacks the water up in our bays as well.
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Fri May 21, 2021 2:36 pm

Darren wrote:thankfully no we are in a very high spot, but it's pretty bad in many places. 9.48 inches fell in 3 hours earlier this week.

Beginning to wonder if the rain's ever going to stop...
Rick

Return to The Blind