Hunt

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Hunt

Postby Josh carpenter » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:21 am

Does anybody have any special hunting trips planned this season? have a trip up on Lake Erie in December, probably going on a goose hunt early next year with a friend & his family
Josh carpenter

Re: Hunt

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:52 am

Yes I'll be in Manilla the day before the opener sitting right here in the #1 spot
20220124_165400.jpg

That's "7-mile". Can launch 30 at a time but I go first. :mrgreen: for 2 seasons the wma is on a special High level of law enforcement. Each morning at 4 am a gw directs traffic and let's boats go one at a time. Why? A fatality. They aren't lettIng us race NO MORE.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:00 am

Where do you live in Ohio, Josh. Went to high school in Bay Village and college in Marietta. Lake Erie didn't produce the diver variety then that it does now, was pretty much"bills" - and more bills.
Rick

Postby Josh carpenter » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:35 am

Guernsey county I’m 40 minutes from Marietta, Erie has been hit or miss
Josh carpenter

Postby Rick » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:14 am

Am I safe in assuming nothing significant ever came of Salt Fork's "green tree reservoir"? Tried it the day it opened, when it was mostly flooded buckwheat and hunters outnumbered ducks.

Best I ever did in your area was at some walk-in pits in what was then the Ohio Power Reclamation Area: mostly woodies but a few mallards.
Rick

Postby Josh carpenter » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:59 pm

Green tree marsh? it’s way overgrown don’t think it’s as popular as once was
Josh carpenter

Postby PorkChop » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:16 pm

Planning on going to Nebraska for teal season and possibly Kansas for teal and then most likely Kansas for the regular season.
PorkChop

Postby Darren » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:52 pm

PorkChop wrote:Planning on going to Nebraska for teal season and possibly Kansas for teal and then most likely Kansas for the regular season.

YouTube vids lead on that much more teal are killed in those two states in September than I would have thought.....in seemingly (relatively) unpressured marshes.
Darren

Postby PorkChop » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:24 pm

Darren wrote:
PorkChop wrote:Planning on going to Nebraska for teal season and possibly Kansas for teal and then most likely Kansas for the regular season.

YouTube vids lead on that much more teal are killed in those two states in September than I would have thought.....in seemingly (relatively) unpressured marshes.

Only been to Kansas for the regular season. Have not been for teal but my buddy that goes definitely complains about the amount of people. Said when he first started going to Nebraska he hardly saw other groups but that has changed. And the amount of other species that he finds floating is dumb. Seems he’s always on the phone calling the warden. I guess I will see if I am able to get the time off how it is.
PorkChop

Postby Rick » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:28 am

Half of Louisiana now migrates to Oklahoma for ducks and the other half to Kansas. Friend who's started a camp in Kansas told me, "If you see a bird, it's coming."

So I'm thinking the pressure can't be too bad, yet.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:28 pm

Josh carpenter wrote:Does anybody have any special hunting trips planned this season? have a trip up on Lake Erie in December, probably going on a goose hunt early next year with a friend & his family

December we are going to Maine.

We've hunted sea ducks for in the Great Lakes. Now we are going to hunt them in the sea.

BTW, any salt water hunters out there? Gun care tips. Not sure how tough salt water is on guns. Any tips. It's just 3 days, but salt water can be pretty tough on some things.
SpinnerMan

Postby Pennydog1 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:02 pm

Spinnerman ive hunted the outer banks in nc we had to clean and oil
Our guns daily after every hunt the salt spray is crazy hard on them.
We took them all the way down washed them in the shower oiled and reassembeled if you dont do it you will have rust in a day also
Spray inside of gun case with silicone and wash when you get back
Home it sounds like overkill but its the only way to protect your gun
From saltwater,
Pennydog1

Postby PorkChop » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:23 pm

Pennydog1 wrote:Spinnerman ive hunted the outer banks in nc we had to clean and oil
Our guns daily after every hunt the salt spray is crazy hard on them.
We took them all the way down washed them in the shower oiled and reassembeled if you dont do it you will have rust in a day also
Spray inside of gun case with silicone and wash when you get back
Home it sounds like overkill but its the only way to protect your gun
From saltwater,

I second this. My first duck was an eider. I grew up in Connecticut and we used to go to Plymouth and to Boston harbor quite a bit. Then when I was stationed up in Alaska I use to go down to the coast for ducks. Even the salty air will take its toll. That being said I have zero experience with the coating on guns these days. It may do better?? I still bring my gun into the shower to get all the dirt and dust from field hunting.
PorkChop

Postby Rick » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:45 pm

Some Maine sea duck guides at least used to have cleaning tanks of CLP to run metal gun parts through after hunts.

Bad as I am about gun maintenance, I still coated my barrel and receiver with RIG pre-hunt and broke the gun down for thorough cleaning after every brackish water hunt down by the Gulf. That, and took a Model 500 Mossberg.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:25 pm

Thanks all.

Kind of what I was thinking. Pretty much sealed it for me that I will take the backup pump.
SpinnerMan

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:12 pm

Back there ...there's a nice thread, a sticky I think...
How to clean your gun.
It was pretty detailed.
Bucket of hot water with formula 409 to clean and decrease every part. Trigger assembly too.
Use one of them golf brushes that is brass on one side and plastic on the other.
Finally blow every part with an air hose.
Reassemble and use very little oil on the slides.
I tried it and whoever wrote that sticky must be a gunsmith. Perfect.

More:
I found this odd product. Went to get rem oil and all that they had Pro-Shot Zero Friction. It's synthetic.
It's amazing. I've tried lots of gun lube sprays and this stuff is slicker than ...uh you know...
The warnings on the can are scary.
CANCER AND REPRODUCTIVE HARM.
WOA.
Heck I'm old and my lil Betty count is low.
I spray some on a q-tip and lube the slide and where it slides in. That's it I run it dry..I do use cheap gun cases that are soaked in WD40. That's what it's for isn't it?
Ricky Spanish

Return to The Blind