Sense of Direction

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Sense of Direction

Postby PorkChop » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:20 pm

Based solely on my opinion you’re either born with it or you’re not. I have always been the kind of person that you could drop off anywhere and I could find my way home. If you take me someplace I will always remember how to get there. I used to love just walking through the woods off trail and I would walk and walk and walk and find my way back.

My wife and my kids on the other hand seem to have no sense of direction or ability to remember how to get places.

Like I said it’s always come natural to me so am I wrong in believing you are born with it or you’re not? Is it something that can be taught or learned?

Never been without it so I am seriously asking your opinion.
PorkChop

Re: Sense of Direction

Postby Duck Engr » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:02 pm

I’m of the belief that you’re either born with it or not. I’ve been in the woods since I could walk and I’d get lost going to the bathroom at night if it wasn’t for the walls in my house. I carry a compass in every pair of waders and hunting vests I own. Feel naked without one.

My buddy, who grew up in a family that doesn’t hunt and started going with me as a teenager is different. I could blindfold him, take him out in the woods, spin him around and hit him in the head with a 2x4 and he’d still be home for dinner.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:33 am

I bet I can get anyone lost at the wma. My buddies argue over which way South is while hunting.
My boats pointing north...
They argue. My boat is STILL pointing north....has not moved..which way is south again?

You can be taught and learn. I was.
The US Army can teach you how yet there are still soldiers that get lost in the latrine?
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:01 am

I can ride somewhere for years and not know the route. Put me at the wheel or tiller, and I may not recall the way for life, but will for years.

Still, without sun to guide me, I've gotten what Davy Crockett was said to have called "confused" afoot in flatland woods a hurricane had turned to Pick-up Stick jungle. (Occurs to me some may not know that reference. Do they still make Pick-up Sticks?)
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:05 pm

Rick wrote:I can ride somewhere for years and not know the route. Put me at the wheel or tiller, and I may not recall the way for life, but will for years.

Still, without sun to guide me, I've gotten what Davy Crockett was said to have called "confused" afoot in flatland woods a hurricane had turned to Pick-up Stick jungle. (Occurs to me some may not know that reference. Do they still make Pick-up Sticks?)

I have this knack for basically putting a bag on my head so I don't remember where my friends took me.
I've been to the fireman hole at DD but couldn't tell you where it is to save my life.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:42 pm

Ricky Spanish wrote:I have this knack for basically putting a bag on my head so I don't remember where my friends took me.
I've been to the fireman hole at DD but couldn't tell you where it is to save my life.

Never blindfolded anyone, but may have driven an extra ten or twelve mile tangle of county roads to hunt a public land grouse spot with a friend I otherwise trusted, back before GPS. of course.
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:08 am

Rick wrote:
Ricky Spanish wrote:I have this knack for basically putting a bag on my head so I don't remember where my friends took me.

Never blindfolded anyone, but may have driven an extra ten or twelve mile tangle of county roads to hunt a public land grouse spot with a friend I otherwise trusted, back before GPS. of course.

Last year was surreal. Locals took me on a tour of the best holes. Made sure I had my GPS too. That's different.
They want me using them holes because it's well-known that I won't turn the guys away. Certain holes need to be claimed early so they send me. I like getting up for the race. They don't.
Ricky Spanish

Return to The Blind