She’s a Lefty

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

She’s a Lefty

Postby PorkChop » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:54 am

Well my luck of passing the starter 20 gauge down has ended. My next daughter in line is a lefty. Looks like I will have to either buy a new one or borrow one. I’m sure I could teach her to adapt to a right handed shotgun but this particular daughter did not enjoy her first duck hunt and never went again until last fall and now all she wants to do is go hunting for whatever. I still think her desire for it may be fragile so I am going to do my best to make sure everything is 100% perfect!
PorkChop

Re: She’s a Lefty

Postby plainsman » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:27 am

is her left eye dominant as well? Might think about a break barrel, as much as I hate to say it.
plainsman

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:35 am

100% perfect will take some doing.
You're going to need shotgun Jesus.
:clap:
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:52 am

If the gun's safety can be switched, she may be fine with no more accommodation than that. Lot of lefies seem to be.
Rick

Postby Darren » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:57 pm

PorkChop wrote:Well my luck of passing the starter 20 gauge down has ended. My next daughter in line is a lefty. Looks like I will have to either buy a new one or borrow one. I’m sure I could teach her to adapt to a right handed shotgun but this particular daughter did not enjoy her first duck hunt and never went again until last fall and now all she wants to do is go hunting for whatever. I still think her desire for it may be fragile so I am going to do my best to make sure everything is 100% perfect!

Both my kids are somehow lefthanded, despite their parents being very much right-handed (and right-brained). The ramifications of this are still much to be discovered, well beyond our continuing to set down their dinner utensils on wrong side of them.
Darren

Postby PorkChop » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:35 pm

I am not sure about being able to switch the safeties. I should’ve said 20 gauges not 20 gauge as I have a couple of them. She really wants to do the high school trap shooting as well. They can start here in sixth grade. So an over and under might be the ticket but I’ll have to see what small town North Dakota has for sale.

Although she is left hand dominant she is able to do a lot of things with her right hand to include hand writing. However when I handed her the gun she grabbed it and mounted it like a lefty.
PorkChop

Postby plainsman » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:51 pm

PorkChop wrote:I am not sure about being able to switch the safeties. I should’ve said 20 gauges not 20 gauge as I have a couple of them. She really wants to do the high school trap shooting as well. They can start here in sixth grade. So an over and under might be the ticket but I’ll have to see what small town North Dakota has for sale.

Although she is left hand dominant she is able to do a lot of things with her right hand to include hand writing. However when I handed her the gun she grabbed it and mounted it like a lefty.

seems most lefties don't like am empty hull flying in front their faces...don't blame them,,,which is why I mentioned break barrel's...maybe a bottom eject?
plainsman

Postby 5 stand » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:10 pm

Pork chop, eye dominance should distinguish whether she is a left hand shooter or a right hand shooter..
The best advice I can give you is do not fight a dominant eye !!!! Hope that makes sense...
5 stand

Postby PorkChop » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:45 pm

5 stand wrote:Pork chop, eye dominance should distinguish whether she is a left hand shooter or a right hand shooter..
The best advice I can give you is do not fight a dominant eye !!!! Hope that makes sense...

It definitely makes sense thank you
PorkChop

Postby 5 stand » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:48 pm

:thumbsup:
5 stand

Postby don novicki » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:16 am

Don't know how old she is but you should be able to find a nice used H&R Topper or something of that nature, that won't break the bank......
don novicki

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:01 pm

don novicki wrote:Don't know how old she is but you should be able to find a nice used H&R Topper or something of that nature, that won't break the bank......

I've got one of those. Was cheap.
My daughter shot it a few times then decided killing birds wasn't her thing.
I'm looking at these.
Resized_20220809_185618.jpeg

They have 20's.
Wonder how much an affinity is.

Seriously every gun I've bought was used but the h&r 20 gauge and a Remington super magnum 12 gauge.

Figure out how to get the thing to you, pay for that shipping, and it's yours. I have no need for the thing.
Resized_20220809_190753.jpeg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Postby PorkChop » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:00 pm

5 stand wrote:Pork chop, eye dominance should distinguish whether she is a left hand shooter or a right hand shooter..

She is right eye dominant
PorkChop

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:51 am

PorkChop wrote:

She is right eye dominant

And poof just like that she's a right handed Shooter.
If I really think about this topic I shoot right handed.
Now think.
Which hand does the pointing?
Left.
This topic can be quite counterintuitive.
Let her pick out a shotgun.
That's important.
If you pick one ANYTHING THAT GOES WRONG will be blamed on your poor selection.
She IS a female right?
Ricky Spanish

Return to The Blind