Doves

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Doves

Postby PorkChop » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:16 pm

For this time of year I am not impressed with the numbers I am seeing! Season opens Sep 1st here. Hopefully they are in hiding still due to the late spring!
PorkChop

Re: Doves

Postby Anotherone » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:23 am

September 3rd in Louisiana. I see plenty during my afternoon drive from work to home. Soybean fields along the Mississippi River levee in Pointe Coupee Parish seems to be holding a lot of birds, mourning and white wings. I may have to set up in the hayfield behind my home and shoot the leftovers that don’t get smoked along the river.
Anotherone

Postby Deltaman » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:39 am

Sept 11th opener here in the South AL zone, and I hope the local bird population had a good year. We don't usually see any significant migration of birds until the cold fronts in November, and by then, most of my farmers are hunting deer. Most a mourning doves, but we do have a sprinkling of the Eurasian Collared Doves (damn things are as big as pigeons, and as tough). Every once in a while, we'll get lucky and get a surprise visit by a few white-wings. The pre and post hunt are as much fun as the hunt itself, with lots of good company, food and drink. The heat is usually a scorcher, and a shade tree or umbrella is a must. Can't wait!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Anotherone » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:49 am

Deltaman wrote:Sept 11th opener here in the South AL zone, and I hope the local bird population had a good year. We don't usually see any significant migration of birds until the cold fronts in November, and by then, most of my farmers are hunting deer. Most a mourning doves, but we do have a sprinkling of the Eurasian Collared Doves (damn things are as big as pigeons, and as tough). Every once in a while, we'll get lucky and get a surprise visit by a few white-wings. The pre and post hunt are as much fun as the hunt itself, with lots of good company, food and drink. The heat is usually a scorcher, and a shade tree or umbrella is a must. Can't wait!!!!!

That ain’t no lie, a big pot of jambalaya and ice chest of beer under a big live oak tree after a good dove shoot is nice.
Anotherone

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:43 am

I'd rather kill a honker and have to choose one or the other.
Used to start my dogs on doves.
Gee that's dumb but it's what I did on 3 out of 4 labs.
Millet has his own birds. Lucky pup.
Ricky Spanish

Postby PorkChop » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:20 am

And just like that they are coming out of hiding
PorkChop

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:44 am

Good news!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:12 pm

Been a number of years since I did the old Louisiana noon opener with a big group, but great memories. We've not really tried them in Bunkie but other than that dont really have a better option. As much ag land as their is within 10-15 mins of my house in BR, access can be tough!
Darren

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:26 pm

Ricky Spanish wrote:I'd rather kill a honker and have to choose one or the other.

I keep thinking about going dove hunting, but I just end up going fishing/goose hunting during the opening week of both.

I took my .410 with steel shot along one year and actually to my surprise got a couple doves. A fair number fly around where I goose hunt. No geese though that day.
SpinnerMan

Postby duck dawg » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:19 pm

We usually just ride around drink beer and shoot them off power lines.
duck dawg

Postby Anotherone » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:43 pm

duck dawg wrote:We usually just ride around drink beer and shoot them off power lines.

Hot tip: Hwy 415 from Glynn, LA to Waterloo, LA. Power lines along the Mississippi River levee that are over soybeans are loaded every afternoon.
Anotherone

Postby don novicki » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:35 pm

Seeing some around but right before hunting season, the land owners will post a lot of spots as closed to dove and goose hunting in the early season.
don novicki

Postby Anotherone » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:43 am

Public service announcement:
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Anotherone

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:02 pm

Anotherone wrote:Public service announcement:

Ahahahaha...I used to hunt with Darren aka dickweed.
Great archer. Lousy with a shotgun.
We'd hunt doves. I'd let him miss 3 times then poof his bird. :lol:
Good Ole dickweed.
Ricky Spanish

Return to The Blind