Duck Hunters Curse

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Duck Hunters Curse

Postby Gr8white » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:58 pm

So I get up at 3am to go scout an area looking for the "perfect wood duck hole". I stop at a gas station on the ride to grab a bag of beef jerky, drink, and a pack of cigs. On the ride I reach over in the dark, grab the bag, rip it open and throw a chunk in my mouth....something wasn't right so I spit it out. Turn the light on and my jerky chunks are wet and covered in mold...and I had that shit in my mouth.

Get to the parking lot and hear a fox in the distance barking (or whatever that freaky sounding shit they do is called). The bastard decides to follow me on my two mile walk in the dark, barking the whole way. I'm not going to say I was intimidated, but I did pick up a hefty stick along the way to use as a...ummm...walking support.

I get to my spot early and decide to inspect my wood duck call...never really taken it apart to see its inner workings. Bad idea...pulled it apart and the reed and stopper fall into the creek.

Saw lots of ducks which probably cancelled out my 3 earlier issues. Hurray for me.

Get back to truck and someone has siphoned out a 1/4 tank of my diesel...those sob m'fers.

Now this storm is most likely going to push out all of my targeted ducks...back to square one....and I blew out my flip flop today.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351295894.671317.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Gr8white

Re: Duck Hunters Curse

Postby Bad17 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:02 pm

What a great day. Atleast you saw ducks got your daily dose of penicillin and can relate to jimmy buffet. Also a valuable lesson was learned about taking stuff apart in the dark over water.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby Olly » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:09 pm

Someone siphoned your fuel? WTF?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:11 pm

Bad times around here, Olly. Lots of home invasions and dumbass meth heads anymore. And this is the country. (Not sure where Great White Hope is from, but the whole Eastern Shore is basically country) I HATE leaving my Jeep while I'm hunting.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:16 pm

That picture of the jerky gave me the heebeejeebees. I would have probably thrown up instantly. What you should do about the siphoning is park your truck in the same spot and instead of scouting, hide. Bring a camera and a weapon. Take plenty of pictures of them robbing you then confront them. Make them fill your tank or go to the cops. Just don't tell them you have pictures(or video)
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:16 pm

I guess I'm out of touch with things in the big city. I'm going to freak out in June when I move to Mobile with all those people.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Gr8white » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:25 pm

assateague wrote:Bad times around here, Olly. Lots of home invasions and dumbass meth heads anymore. And this is the country. (Not sure where Great White Hope is from, but the whole Eastern Shore is basically country) I HATE leaving my Jeep while I'm hunting.

I'm in rural farm country. Meth/heroine is a major prob here as well. Farmers are getting their irrigation hacked up. We had a 100(?) gallon propane tank stolen from our house just prior to moving in. Robberies, break-ins, car jackings...and this is in the country like assa said. It's sad. I liked it better when everyone was just a pothead.
Gr8white

Postby Gr8white » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:That picture of the jerky gave me the heebeejeebees. I would have probably thrown up instantly. What you should do about the siphoning is park your truck in the same spot and instead of scouting, hide. Bring a camera and a weapon. Take plenty of pictures of them robbing you then confront them. Make them fill your tank or go to the cops. Just don't tell them you have pictures(or video)

I'd thought about that. I'd love punch one of em in the mouth, but I'd prolly get shot.
Gr8white

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:34 pm

Gr8white wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:That picture of the jerky gave me the heebeejeebees. I would have probably thrown up instantly. What you should do about the siphoning is park your truck in the same spot and instead of scouting, hide. Bring a camera and a weapon. Take plenty of pictures of them robbing you then confront them. Make them fill your tank or go to the cops. Just don't tell them you have pictures(or video)

I'd thought about that. I'd love punch one of em in the mouth, but I'd prolly get shot.

Shoot them in the face with #12 shot. Easier to punch them when they can't see. Also it will keep them from IDing you.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Gr8white » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:35 pm

Bad17 wrote:What a great day. Atleast you saw ducks got your daily dose of penicillin and can relate to jimmy buffet. Also a valuable lesson was learned about taking stuff apart in the dark over water.

Other than the hike to the spot, it's picture perfect back there. Hard bottom stream with acorns dropping in water. Woodies falling in like I've never seen before. It's a nice change from hunting waist deep mud.
Gr8white

Postby Gr8white » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:37 pm

...and the jerky was nasty. Even in the dark, the instant it touched my tongue I knew something wasn't right. I spit quicker than the wife....
Gr8white

Postby Bad17 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:39 pm

Sounds like it. I would park the jeep and hide in the brush with a pepper spray extinguisher and when the gas thieves come back lite em up with that shit. They will run. Take pictures first.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby Bufflehead » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:21 pm

Gr8white wrote:
assateague wrote:Bad times around here, Olly. Lots of home invasions and dumbass meth heads anymore. And this is the country. (Not sure where Great White Hope is from, but the whole Eastern Shore is basically country) I HATE leaving my Jeep while I'm hunting.

I'm in rural farm country. Meth/heroine is a major prob here as well. Farmers are getting their irrigation hacked up. We had a 100(?) gallon propane tank stolen from our house just prior to moving in. Robberies, break-ins, car jackings...and this is in the country like assa said. It's sad. I liked it better when everyone was just a pothead.

it's the same way here and i live in a small town on a island.
Bufflehead

Postby dog walker » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Sorry to hear about your flip flop
dog walker

Postby assateague » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:39 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
assateague

Postby Goldfish » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:10 am

dog walker wrote:Sorry to hear about your flip flop

Bahahaha. I'm not. I hate hearing people wear those. You are at work/the mall/anywhere you don't need to readily take your footwear off.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Return to The Blind