Anyone, Anywhere,

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Anyone, Anywhere,

Postby don novicki » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:00 am

Are you killing ducks? I'm not, too GD hot and supposed to be 75 today and bright sun, no wind. When I look at the DU migration map I see the same dead corridor thru NY and Pa and some of Oh. that I have seen for the last 5 years. Next possible day up here is not until 11-13 when it's going to be in the 40's. Inland season only runs until 12-5 so no migration again this year for us. What's a guy to do? Wahhhhhhhh :shock:
don novicki

Re: Anyone, Anywhere,

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:15 am

I'm sorry for your dilemma. If I were you I'd be talking to my Waterfowl Director about altering the season dates going forward. Good luck!
Ducaholic

Postby Metalworx » Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:20 pm

Sounds like a road trip later in the year may be your possible solution?
Metalworx

Postby don novicki » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:24 am

I was thinking about spring snow geese maybe.
don novicki

Postby Rick » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:28 am

I'm wit' DA, be a thorn in your game managers' sides.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:57 am

don novicki wrote:Inland season only runs until 12-5 so no migration again this year for us.

What is inland season? You are in PA. I used to hunt in PA. Doesn't duck season run into January? I haven't hunted there in a fair number of years, but I was pretty sure you all ran pretty late for 2 reasons. Most of the state had a split season. Also, because there is no hunting on Sundays, your weeks are 6 days and not 7, so for a 60 day season you get 10 weeks. Here in Illinois we don't have a split and only have 8.5 weeks. I wish we had 10 weeks split early and late, but no hunting on Monday not Sunday. After having years of Sunday hunting it pissed me off to go back to PA and not be able to hunt Sundays. I'm from central PA a little south of the north/south zone border. I don't know what you all do out near Erie.
SpinnerMan

Postby don novicki » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:58 am

Allow me to explain. Pa has 4 distinct zones comprised of: This is all duck hunting here I am not including goose

Lake Erie Zone 10-31 to 1-7-23 straight thru no split

North West Zone 10-8 to 12-3 then 12-27 to 1-7 mallards, when we get them, usually show up when the season is closed and they are gone before it reopens.

North Zone 10-8 to 10-15 then 11-15 to Jan 7

South Zone 10-8 to 10-15 then 11-22 to 1-21

I live and hunt both the L.E Zone and the NW Zone but all of my private property is in the NW Zone.That is what I call inland hunting. We used to be able to hunt until late Dec when the season would open back up after rifle deer, but about 12 years ago they took a hunter survey and they moved the dates to what they are now. It's totally ridiculous because the rest of the state closes for rifle deer but NOOOOOOOO we have to stay open during that time which F's us totally. One other thing though is that goose season here in the NW Zone closes for rifle deer but ducks are still a go. How the heck does that work ? The entire state is shut down for deer but only the NW zone remains open. I hate these dates and now that it stays warm so long anymore, you burn through a lot of days during Oct when it's too hot and the migration hasn't started.

The NW Zone is the smallest zone in the state, what USED to make it special was Pymatuning State Park and the hunting that went on around there. The place used to be a mecca for Canada geese but it hasn't been good for the last 20+ years or more. The Game Commission set all their rules based on that place and Middle Creek but the heyday of those two spot is long ago. Now the DNR oils and addles eggs every year around Pymatuning because of complaints by beach goers of too much dooley.

Pa. is all about deer. Period. The duck hunter is just someone they HAVE to deal with......

The PGC has made major advance to Sunday hunting. You can now hunt 3 Sundays per season for deer. :lol: I don't think open Sunday hunting for all species will ever happen here. You can't believe how many hunters are against it.

A couple of years ago they repealed the wearing of hunting licenses on your back. That was huge for them......
don novicki

Postby Ducaholic » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:44 am

Wow!
Ducaholic

Return to The Blind