D U migration map

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

D U migration map

Postby don novicki » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:39 am

I don't know how many of you use their map at all however I try to post as often as I can just to let people know whats going on. As a sad note today, there was a guy from Antioch Ill. who went by the name of Bill M. who posted regularly to the site. Every once in a while he would reference how the hunting was "back in the day" as they say now, He said more than once he used to guide at Crab Orchard, or one of the big spots, when Southern Ill. was the goose capital of the world. His last post was Dec 4 2022 and I learned today that he passed away. He was in his 80's and still went out all the time. I didn't know him, or ever even talk to him, but I did enjoy reading his posts. The old timers, the guys that wore Duxback, and went out in hip boots, rowed wooden boats, and set out cork blocks are almost all gone, and that is truly a loss. I hope I can still get out when I'm in my mid 80's. Did anyone on here know him?
don novicki

Re: D U migration map

Postby Anotherone » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:17 pm

Was he “The Mad Duck” on the refuge?
Anotherone

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:39 pm

Too bad.
Antioch is a suburb of Chicago.
The guy probably drove withing a half mile of my house on all them trips to crab orchard lake.
I'll ask my up north Yankee pals if they heard of him.
Ricky Spanish

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:22 pm

I don't think I'd call it a suburb of Chicago. It's almost in Wisconsin and is located on the Fox Chain O' Lakes. If he was driving from there to Crab Orchard that is a hall. That's well over 300 miles as the duck flies. It's still about 60 miles north of me. If he did, I'm sure he took 57 right passed your place.

The Chain is a pretty interesting place. It's a bunch of pretty large lakes that are all interconnected by the Fox River or canals. I looked, it's over 7,000 acres of water, but most interesting is that there are nearly 500 miles of shorelines. Most of the lakes are connected in a way that you can make a big loop which is a nice way to spend a day if you don't mind having to deal with crazy boat traffic on a couple of the lakes and getting through the no-wake crowded canals and bridge underpasses, but there's enough space if you know the lakes to usually get away to relative peace on a busy summer or you can go to the center of the madness at the Blarney Island which is a bar in the middle of Grass Lake.
SpinnerMan

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:36 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:I don't think I'd call it a suburb of Chicago. It's almost in Wisconsin and is located on the Fox Chain O' Lakes. If he was driving from there to Crab Orchard that is a hall. That's well over 300 miles as the duck flies. It's still about 60 miles north of me. If he did, I'm sure he took 57 right passed your place.

The Chain is a pretty interesting place. It's a bunch of pretty large lakes that are all interconnected by the Fox River or canals. I looked, it's over 7,000 acres of water, but most interesting is that there are nearly 500 miles of shorelines. Most of the lakes are connected in a way that you can make a big loop which is a nice way to spend a day if you don't mind having to deal with crazy boat traffic on a couple of the lakes and getting through the no-wake crowded canals and bridge underpasses, but there's enough space if you know the lakes to usually get away to relative peace on a busy summer or you can go to the center of the madness at the Blarney Island which is a bar in the middle of Grass Lake.

People talk funny up there.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:10 am

Got word that Howard is gone too.
Ricky Spanish

Postby don novicki » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:33 am

Dam......
don novicki

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:14 am

don novicki wrote:Dam......

He lived near the very southern tip of the state by Cairo.
Super nice. Fine example of southern Illinois people.
Ricky Spanish

Return to The Blind