Hunting a timber hole

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Hunting a timber hole

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:04 pm

I've got some weird ideas about it that come from watching a lot of timber holes for lots of time during duck season.
I've got this backwards idea and may start actually doing it.
Usually we all just toss all our decoys into the center of the hole. That's pretty common.
More is better they say.

Now I've seen this play out so many times that I'm going to start looking for it and set up on it.
What is IT? you might ask.

Ok I've seen ducks many species pull this trick.
They'll come into the hole hot, overshoot the decoys, glide off thru a cut in the trees, and land on a fallen tree.
It's predictable especially late in the season.
Hole-shy is what they call it but I think ducks are just naturally attracted to a nice freshly fallen tree.
They hide and rest there.

I'm thinking I'll set up holes by scouting hard first for a nearby fall down. Stick a couple decoys there and set up as if they're gunna pull that glide thru the woods crap.
I'm not the only one thinking this stuff. I've seen it happen so many damn times.
Ricky Spanish

Re: Hunting a timber hole

Postby Ricky Spanish » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:27 am

THE DONUT OF DEATH. No Matter which way they approach from they see decoys.
For a small hole.
16704051870235863554990874172367.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:44 am

I'm not the only crappy draftsman.
See?
IMG_2022 :fishing: 1207_034315.jpg

This would work too.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:06 am

20220104_080608.jpg
Have lots of pics of woods. This one has some decoys in it.
That hole is called "the lighthouse hole".
The refuge is right behind us
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ducaholic » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:15 am

Nice! We always put the dekes on the up wind side of the hole with a sprinkling in the middle. Rarely do they over shoot and land beyond the dekes and most often take the path of least resistance. In January however they will crash in to the thick stuff at the drop of a hat.
Ducaholic

Postby Rick » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:56 am

My green timber days are literally decades behind me, but the "holes" were much smaller, decoys almost an afterthought and very few in number, and the birds generally dropping on the call and some splashing. Might have to move a bit to accommodate their preferred approach, but seldom much. Simpler times when squirrels could be the best of "guides"...
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:46 pm

Ducaholic wrote:Nice! We always put the dekes on the up wind side of the hole with a sprinkling in the middle. Rarely do they over shoot and land beyond the dekes and most often take the path of least resistance. In January however they will crash in to the thick stuff at the drop of a hat.

Yup. I use the donut on really small holes you can shoot across. I love that. Most of the holes I use are small enough to where if a duck dips in and you want to sky blast one, you better hit it, It works.
45 yards seems like a long long way in the woods.

The lighthouse was red flagged for a few years. If you look hard you can still find red paint on trees.
Ricky Spanish

Return to The Blind