Fishin

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Fishin

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:45 am

In about a month I'll try an catch a fish.
A trout? Yes they have a release program.
Lake of the Woods by Mahomet gets stocked.
Other places too.

Canned corn or colored marshmallows is good bait.
Have tried salmon eggs and corn is better.
Have thought about this idea for years....
Get pond fish food and figure out how to use it as bait on these pond-reared then released fish.
One would assume that they want fish food am I right?
Thinking about trying to develop a fish food bait. It might be interesting to try.

Can run two poles. Two hooks each. Usually we experiment to see what gets a fish first then load up with that. Fun stuff
Ricky Spanish

Re: Fishin

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:07 am

Velveeta cheese. I have caught a fair number of trout on that.

I think the fish food idea would work.

However my preferred method is homemade spinners. What else would SpinnerMan use?

I used to trout fish in Georgia. Large hydroelectric dams release the water from the bottom. This is below the thermocline and stays cool year round even in the deep south. Cool enough for trout to live year round.
SpinnerMan

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:30 am

SpinnerMan wrote:Velveeta cheese. I have caught a fair number of trout on that.

I think the fish food idea would work.

However my preferred method is homemade spinners. What else would SpinnerMan use?

I used to trout fish in Georgia. Large hydroelectric dams release the water from the bottom. This is below the thermocline and stays cool year round even in the deep south. Cool enough for trout to live year round.

Lake of the Woods is basically a big pond.
It has an overflow dam. Spinners won't work we've tried that and small spoons too.
They aren't wild fish. Brown trout I think.
They eat good. You get 5 a day
Ricky Spanish

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:01 pm

I haven't had that much luck with spinners in lakes and ponds. Although one day in New Mexico a recently stocked pond lined with people drowning all kinds bait. Nobody catching nothing. I walked down to an area with nobody fishing. Only piece of the shore open. I think I caught 3 in the first 5 casts. I could feel the eyes burning. Fished about 15 more minutes. Caught 2 more. Then went on my way. Standing in one spot on a lined bank is not my thing. But when you are driving in the middle of nowhere New Mexico and come up on a pond lined with fisherman, you have to stop and check it out.

Most of my trout have not been wild trout, but in streams all over the country for all kinds of trout, I have had good luck with spinners. Browns, rainbows, brook, steelhead, cutthroat and even a bull trout.
SpinnerMan

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:07 am

SpinnerMan wrote:I haven't had that much luck with spinners in lakes and ponds. Although one day in New Mexico a recently stocked pond lined with people drowning all kinds bait. Nobody catching nothing. I walked down to an area with nobody fishing. Only piece of the shore open. I think I caught 3 in the first 5 casts. I could feel the eyes burning. Fished about 15 more minutes. Caught 2 more. Then went on my way. Standing in one spot on a lined bank is not my thing. But when you are driving in the middle of nowhere New Mexico and come up on a pond lined with fisherman, you have to stop and check it out.

Most of my trout have not been wild trout, but in streams all over the country for all kinds of trout, I have had good luck with spinners. Browns, rainbows, brook, steelhead, cutthroat and even a bull trout.

Darryll thought it'd work too so we trolled back n forth for 4 hours towing little yellow spinners. All we caught were crappie too small to keep.
I'm not wasting another minute on spinners in early April.
In May the same lure is deadly on spawning bass.
These things.
16750732278211592269462652079642.jpg

What you do us go to the old air force base, find the fish pond for the officers and go fish there. It's weedy as hell.
Fish from a boat. Nobody else does.
To catch a fish from shore is nearly impossible but from a boat the fish are stupid. All the pressure comes from the shore.
You will haul in bass after bass. Mexicans and Asians gawking the whole time.
Fishing here sucks
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Anotherone » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:05 pm

#12 hook tied to 4 lb test monofilament and a piece of raw shrimp. If they ain’t biting that as soon as it hits the bottom, pick up and go somewhere else.
Anotherone

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:30 pm

Anotherone wrote:#12 hook tied to 4 lb test monofilament and a piece of raw shrimp. If they ain’t biting that as soon as it hits the bottom, pick up and go somewhere else.

I'd have the bait eaten before we got there.
This is where it gets interesting.
About 50 years ago I'd fish there.
It was a pay lake that sucked so bad that nobody paid.
Eventually the park district bought it and now it's a park.
Ironically that is where they stock the trout. Only about 1.5 Miles away.
Trout fishing inda hood yo.
NOW what lure you gonna use?
357 magnum?
Kaufman Lake is a borrow pit I think.
Screenshot_20230130_153110_Maps.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:44 pm

Anotherone wrote:piece of raw shrimp

I've never used shrimp in freshwater, but in saltwater everything loves them. I've thought about it. Just haven't done it.

Ricky Spanish wrote:Darryll thought it'd work too so we trolled back n forth for 4 hours towing little yellow spinners. All we caught were crappie too small to keep.

BTW, when I said I hadn't had much success in lakes and ponds with spinners. That's across the board. I've caught everything from common carp to king salmon with inline spinners in rivers and streams, but in lakes and ponds not a lot of success. Spinnerbaits and especially buzzbaits, I've done well. Although, I do have to confess, I've always done far better in streams than flat water. That's what I grew up doing. Fishing moving water for trout in the spring and then smallmouths and a variety of sunfish in the summer. So as I moved around the country I gravitated to the stream fishing wherever I was.

Ricky Spanish wrote:In May the same lure is deadly on spawning bass.

What isn't deadly on spawning bass? :mrgreen:

Ricky Spanish wrote:To catch a fish from shore is nearly impossible but from a boat the fish are stupid. All the pressure comes from the shore.

I find that in retention ponds in developments. I have my buzzbait tied to my rod with 25 lb test braid on it and I can cast it an effing mile. Usually all the bites come way the hey out there. Where as unpressured water I'll get a lot of bites right near the shoreline structure. Sometimes right as I pick it up before it drags on shore. I nearly always stand a little ways back from the shore so I don't spook the fish at the water's edge.

I was fishing one pond that was crystal clear and almost no structure, but they had fountains. With my buzzbait I could just reach the fountain heads and pulled bass out from under them. One guy sitting on a porch overlooking the lake. When I came by, he said "I've never seen anyone else catch a fish out of this pond." :lol: I caught a few nice bass and had one actually break my line when it just smashed the buzzbait :o I didn't even bring a spare bait and had to walk back to the place we were staying to get a new one :lol: Braid doesn't brake and buzzbaits don't snag. Well, usually.
SpinnerMan

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:52 pm

:arrow: That pond is stupid weedy.
They poison it and it kind of helps a bit but it's always been weedy as fuck. Deep diving lures and you'll drag in 5 pounds of weeds each cast.
The trick is finding holes in the weeds and there ain't a single trout on octave Chanute afb.
Bass. It's kind of dumb taking a boat there but spinners and plastic worms are a ton of fun but not one trout.
The trout program changed completely since last time I tried it.
Kaufman Lake is a joke.
At least the grandkids will be close to home if they go.
No boats go there.

I toss every bass I catch back.
Last edited by Ricky Spanish on Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Anotherone » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:56 pm

“If the turtles are on logs, the bass are biting on frogs.”
Anotherone

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:59 pm

Anotherone wrote:“If the turtles are on logs, the bass are biting on frogs.”

Hehe OK.
In May I hit a certain spot for bass and use shiny bomber lures that mimic a shad. Comparing where I fish to "anywhere else" is dumb too.
North or South East or west is way better than this shit hole
Ricky Spanish

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:54 pm

I caught three bullfrogs on a frog one day :lol:

If I knew I was going to get three I'd have kept them. It's enough for an appetizer :thumbsup:

My go to is the spinnerbait, but if it's too weedy for that, then I'll toss a frog.

Ricky Spanish wrote:They poison it and it kind of helps a bit but it's always been weedy as fuck. Deep diving lures and you'll drag in 5 pounds of weeds each cast.

I fish some ponds like that. I actually like fishing them from shore.
SpinnerMan

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:59 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:

I caught three bullfrogs on a frog one day :lol:

If I knew I was going to get three I'd have kept them. It's enough for an appetizer :thumbsup:

My go to is the spinnerbait, but if it's too weedy for that, then I'll toss a frog.

Ricky Spanish wrote:They poison it and it kind of helps a bit but it's always been weedy as fuck. Deep diving lures and you'll drag in 5 pounds of weeds each cast.

I fish some ponds like that. I actually like fishing them from shore.

This one is called Heritage Lake. It has a boat ramp but no engine allowed. Trolling is OK.
It's pretty small. If you speak Mexican it'll be just like home.
Ricky Spanish

Return to The Blind