Mixed Feelings

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Mixed Feelings

Postby PorkChop » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:18 pm

Last year it was on the ballot for this to be the last time we do time change. If I remember correctly it won by a pretty big margin. I voted that I wanted it to be the last time. For me personally I like it being light later in the evening. I do not work a 9 to 5 job but when I did I hated driving home in the dark. Mentally for me it just seems like the wind down part of the day.

That being said one thing I always did like about turning the clocks back in the fall was that it put an end to about 90% of the duck hunters weekday hunting. By time they get home from work it’s too dark or the birds already in the field. With me having no set work hours I just go to work earlier so I can be setting up in the field by 2 o’clock.

Admittedly I am not a morning person either so being able to sleep in a little more before a hunt is also a win for me.

We will see if they stick to it and keep it this way but I have a funny feeling that they will try to reverse the vote. we also voted to limit politicians terms to eight years. There was even a clause in there that said they could not do anything to reverse the vote. But guess what they are doing right now they are trying to say it was just for certain politicians and that it doesn’t apply to everybody. So I have a little doubt that they will try to reverse the time change voting results.

How do you guys feel about this being the last time we change the clocks?
PorkChop

Re: Mixed Feelings

Postby Duck Engr » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:46 pm

We tried keeping daylight savings time which is what we’re on now after we sprung forward, year-round sometime back in the 70s. It lasted one year. Support went from around 70% to below 40% in a year’s time. Evidently winter was rough on folks. PC it’d be getting daylight at like 9 or 930 am out your way wouldn’t it?

My vote is it’s called standard time for a reason. Let’s keep it.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby PorkChop » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:50 am

Yep I believe the latest sunrise would be 938 so it would start getting light right around nine. I think we get more civil twilight up this way as well. I guess after living in interior Alaska for 9 1/2 years that wouldn’t bother me at all. I much rather eat breakfast in the dark and supper in the light.

The only thing changing the clock does is give you more light on one end and darkness on the other. I think more people drive reckless after a day of work than on their way to work. All you have to do is sit by a military installation to witness this. I’d much rather have people driving crazy in the daylight. I would also rather my kids have more daylight after school to play outside.

Just my opinion but I would think especially for people with an inside job you would rather it be dark outside so when you get off you have the ability to do more stuff outside in the light.
PorkChop

Postby Rick » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:04 am

Like it as is, and wish they'd leave it the hell alone. But, nooooo, everyone's got a better idea until it isn't...
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:15 am

The sun rises every day.
The argument is what digits to put on the clock at sunrise.

Possibly the only good thing from chicago illinoiz.
Ricky Spanish

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:04 am

Split the difference and leave it , we fall back a half hour and done .
OGblackcloud

Postby PorkChop » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:17 am

Rick wrote:Like it as is, and wish they'd leave it the hell alone. But, nooooo, everyone's got a better idea until it isn't...

I agree I wish they would just pick one and leave it alone. This is the time I prefer but if they permanently changed it to the other I would adjust and live with that.
PorkChop

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:29 am

I hunt before work in the morning. I like being out in the woods or on the water when the sunrises. But in the summer, I like doing things after work in the daylight. So I actually like it as is. I'd shift the dates around for the time shift, but in general it aligns pretty well with my habits or maybe my habits have aligned with the time.
SpinnerMan

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:07 am

SpinnerMan wrote:I hunt before work in the morning

What is this "work" thing that you refer to? :lol:
Ricky Spanish

Return to The Blind