Iron Out

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Iron Out

Postby PorkChop » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:07 pm

Up in Alaska bleach just did not work on your white clothes. It would turn them rusty. So pretty much everybody used iron out. To this day I still use it on my hunting whites. It does not eat at the fabric like bleach. I typically fill the washer up with hot water and the iron out. Then I put my whites in there. Let it agitate for a minute or two and then I let them soak for about 30 minutes. After soaking I add some free and clear laundry detergent to avoid UV. Usually does the trick pretty good. I do have some stubborn blood and mud stains that don’t come out. I’ve tried bleach on them and it doesn’t get them out either.

Just figured I would share if anybody was looking for an alternative to bleach. If you have one I am all ears!
PorkChop

Re: Iron Out

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:01 am

16796517985273425190958609235325.jpg

Discovered this stuff when I tie-dyed shirts.
It sets the colors when you're wash8ng it the first time and the first rinse.
Have no idea if it'd work in Alaska.
We had this lady that cooked and did laundry and I think she was very well paid.

Try oxy-clean. It's billymazing
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Re: Iron Out

Postby Deltaman » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:54 am

I found Iron Out a few years ago, when trying to get my fishing boat clean. A cap full in a gallon of water, and wiped on with a sponge, took any off-colored/rust-colored residue, and is not harmful, Good stuff!!!!! I've never had an issue with clothes, and believe you when you talk about it keeping your white clothes from getting rush colored.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Return to The Blind