Hunting with a new group of guys...

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Hunting with a new group of guys...

Postby jehler » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:06 am

You know that feeling you get heading to hunt with a new group of guys, wondering what your gonna do to look stupid, wondering how your gonna shoot etc...
Olly was quite the cool character but once we were set up and i tell him that he's up first (we never shoot in turns normally :lol: )and that he had better not miss, I did notice just a tiny bit of anxiety, the first group of birds come in the back of the boat where Olly was at, coming in beautiful, cupped wings just slightly banking into the blocks at maybe 20 yards. I yell Take em Olly, he raises his gun and i'll be damned if that sonofabitch didn't drop three birds with one shot! it was quite impressive and a hell of a way to break the ice, i must admit though, it broke my heart, i had so much material saved up for him missing birds and the bastard didn't give me the chance to use it all weekend :cry:
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Re: Hunting with a new group of guys...

Postby grizz18 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:09 am

:lol:

I get super anxious hunting with new people. I always wonder if I'll be able to hit the broad side of a barn, if my calling sounds like a kazoo, if my decoy spread sucks balls, ect... Always questioning myself and whats going through their head. :lol:

Sounds like Olly put it all to shame.
grizz18

Postby jehler » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:12 am

grizz18 wrote::lol:

I get super anxious hunting with new people. I always wonder if I'll be able to hit the broad side of a barn, if my calling sounds like a kazoo, if my decoy spread sucks balls, ect... Always questioning myself and whats going through their head. :lol:

when people hunt with me i only worry about whether I'm going to want to throw them from the boat after 10 minutes. when i go hunt with others I worry about how long it will be before they want to throw me from the boat
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Olly » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:14 am

Jehler if you think I didn't go to bed the night before telling myself "don't you miss a lot and look like a topwater" you'd be dead wrong haha. I had a great time and it was fun to hunt with a group of guys that can take it as much as they dish it out. You'd be surprised at how many guys I've hunted with, with no sense of humor.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby grizz18 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:15 am

jehler wrote:

when people hunt with me i only worry about whether I'm going to want to throw them from the boat after 10 minutes. when i go hunt with others I worry about how long it will be before they want to throw me from the boat

:lol: I completely get what your saying. I'm far too nice to be a dick to someone hunting with me though, although it should be the opposite. I had a guy hail calling his arse off at teal/commorants and after 30 minutes I finally said..."I don't think thats necessary". I wanted to say "SHUT THE EFF UP, YOU STUPID EFF DONKEY"
grizz18

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:18 am

:lol:

When I was hunting with waterfowlman, we had a pair of GW teal sneak in while we were busting brant. He tells me "you go ahead and take them". I get twisted around and rise up, shoulder the gun at the same time the birds are jumping up, and hear "click" from where I forgot to jack in a new shell after the last brant. All he says is "good thing it wasn't an ambush". :lol: I felt like an idiot.
assateague

Postby jehler » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:18 am

Grizz, i don't know if it's years of running a crew or just genetic but if you're with me you never have to wonder what I'm thinking about, you'll here it sour or sweet and my mouth don't have an off button :lol:
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:19 am

assateague wrote::lol:

When I was hunting with waterfowlman, we had a pair of GW teal sneak in while we were busting brant. He tells me "you go ahead and take them". I get twisted around and rise up, shoulder the gun at the same time the birds are jumping up, and hear "click" from where I forgot to jack in a new shell after the last brant. All he says is "good thing it wasn't an ambush". :lol: I felt like an idiot.

wow, I laughed out loud for real that time :lol:
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby grizz18 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:22 am

jehler wrote:Grizz, i don't know if it's years of running a crew or just genetic but if you're with me you never have to wonder what I'm thinking about, you'll here it sour or sweet and my mouth don't have an off button :lol:

Thats what I like! I can't stand wondering what someone is thinking... I can handle hearing anything. Ironically I'm generally shut lip unless its involving safety.
grizz18

Postby grizz18 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:23 am

jehler wrote:
assateague wrote::lol:

wow, I laughed out loud for real that time :lol:

That one got me too! Talk about feeling like a topwater, I'd feel like I'd never handled a weapon in my life around SIR. :lol: :lol:
grizz18

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:28 am

He was quite gracious about it. Regardless, I felt exactly like what grizz said. We all redeemed ourselves moments later when a flock of about 150 mallards flew in to check out the brant and black duck decoys (we were on the ocean) and the three of us were so shocked that nobody even shouldered a gun. I said "good thing we aren't out here duck hunting"
assateague

Postby Bufflehead » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:33 am

grizz18 wrote:
:lol: I completely get what your saying. I'm far too nice to be a dick to someone hunting with me though, although it should be the opposite. I had a guy hail calling his arse off at teal/commorants and after 30 minutes I finally said..."I don't think thats necessary". I wanted to say "SHUT THE EFF UP, YOU STUPID EFF DONKEY"

that's why i don't invite many people to hunt with me. i'm the guy that will make someone unload their gun and go sit in the boat(i've done it before and i'll do it again). after i cussed them like a dog.
Bufflehead

Postby Olly » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:14 am

I'm gonna look for a duck ranch and offer them free advertising so we can do a 2013-14 WFF hunt!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby grizz18 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:16 am

Olly wrote:I'm gonna look for a duck ranch and offer them free advertising so we can do a 2013-14 WFF hunt!

I'd chit my pants with this group guys. :lol:

But I'd clean it up over and over again!
grizz18

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:22 am

Olly wrote:I'm gonna look for a duck ranch and offer them free advertising so we can do a 2013-14 WFF hunt!

Make sure you let them know we're all professionals.
assateague

Postby Olly » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:26 am

And Jehler needs a box to stand on.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:31 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
assateague

Postby JGUN » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:48 am

assateague wrote:He was quite gracious about it. Regardless, I felt exactly like what grizz said. We all redeemed ourselves moments later when a flock of about 150 mallards flew in to check out the brant and black duck decoys (we were on the ocean) and the three of us were so shocked that nobody even shouldered a gun. I said "good thing we aren't out here duck hunting"

Sounds like the first flock that came in yesterday. But somebody didn't want to shoot a limit too quick.:lol:
JGUN

Postby Goldfish » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:23 am

So, what would have happened if he couldn't hit a bird for the life of him? Not that I would have to worry about that, but you know, for discussions sake...
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby JGUN » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:28 am

We were going to release a certain video but decided against it when we found out he was packing.
JGUN

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:01 pm

assateague wrote:

This definitely isn't our first rodeo
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:08 pm

grizz18 wrote:
jehler wrote:

I fall in the same group Grizz and it really bothers me when I can't tell someone how to specifically go eff themselves from time to time. Really the only time people have seen my asshole side is when they make me push setting dekes too late and we have birds dive bombing us while pitching dekes. That eff'ing coffee time damnit!! Day to day I tend to be way too easy going.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:25 pm

JGUN wrote:
assateague wrote:He was quite gracious about it. Regardless, I felt exactly like what grizz said. We all redeemed ourselves moments later when a flock of about 150 mallards flew in to check out the brant and black duck decoys (we were on the ocean) and the three of us were so shocked that nobody even shouldered a gun. I said "good thing we aren't out here duck hunting"

Sounds like the first flock that came in yesterday. But somebody didn't want to shoot a limit too quick.:lol:

Haha at least I didn't fill out my limit with mergs like some pople :D
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Goldfish » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:32 pm

We have a separate limit on Mergs here in MN. We get 6 ducks, 3 geese (regular season), 15 coot, and 5 mergs with no more than 2 being hooded.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby JGUN » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:33 pm

Wow... it's a damn conspiracy against me. Shoot one merg and you're labeled for life.:roll: Now let's ask Jehler what was the first bird he shot this trip.....
JGUN

Postby Olly » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:35 pm

JGUN wrote:Wow... it's a damn conspiracy against me. Shoot one merg and you're labeled for life.:roll: Now let's ask Jehler what was the first bird he shot this trip.....

Hey I didn't name names.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:54 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
assateague wrote:

This just made me lol very l, almost hysterically.
assateague

Postby jehler » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:22 pm

assateague wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
assateague wrote:

This just made me lol very l, almost hysterically.

Me too, I wanted to quote it and send it off to Rick hall just to make him cringe :lol:
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:22 pm

JGUN wrote:Wow... it's a damn conspiracy against me. Shoot one merg and you're labeled for life.:roll: Now let's ask Jehler what was the first bird he shot this trip.....

come on J, I may have shot it but you know you claimed it :mrgreen:
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby JGUN » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:43 pm

In the words of Jeff B...I didn't shoot any!
Well maybe the one that Jr tied under Olly's truck.:wink:
JGUN

Next

Return to The Blind