Magazines

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Magazines

Postby PorkChop » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:42 pm

I have several 35 gallon Rubbermaid containers filled with old Ducks Unlimited, Delta, Waterfowler.com, Waterfowl USA and several others from the mid 80s to current. Always thought I would use them for something but seems like all they are doing is taking up storage space. Maybe when I’m old and decrepit I will page through them and compare prices of things. A major part of my brain though is saying toss them in the recycle bin.

Anyone else have stacks of old magazines and if so what are you doing with them and what’s your future intentions with them?
PorkChop

Re: Magazines

Postby PorkChop » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:44 pm

Let me add I don’t have every issue but I do have a lot. A few of them I stopped getting several years ago because the hunting stories read as advertisements.
PorkChop

Postby don novicki » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:06 am

I had 20 years of Wildfowl and another 10 years of Gun Dog magazines that I tried and tried to get rid of on various web sites. I offered them up for shipping only, any quantity, and I got zero takers over three different duck hunting sites. I guess no one is too interested in them and unfortunately they all went in the trash as recycling doesn't take them. I was sad to have to dump them, but we need to start getting rid of stuff in case we downsize to a ranch house.
don novicki

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:37 am

don novicki wrote:I had 20 years of Wildfowl and another 10 years of Gun Dog magazines that I tried and tried to get rid of on various web sites. I offered them up for shipping only, any quantity, and I got zero takers over three different duck hunting sites. I guess no one is too interested in them...

My grandkids got lucky. During my expert phase I kept a collection of either the magazines I'd stuff in or, in many cases, at least the "tear sheets" thereof, which Hurricane Rita made a huge spitball of after she popped the top off my camp/office. Saved the kids the misery of trying to look interested in them.

Don, I did a fair bit for Stover Publishing (Wildfowl, GunDog and Wing and Shot), but I wouldn't pay the postage to see any of it again, either.
Rick

Postby don novicki » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:17 am

Geez Rick I wish I would have known that. I would have leafed through to find your writings. I did keep about a dozen of Waterfowlers World magazine from the 70's and early 80's. It was very interesting seeing the debate about steel shot when it was first introduced by the Feds. A lot of guys had a lot to say about steel and most of it wasn't good. Additionally there were some very cool ad's from back then. I particularly like the one touting a motorized open water layout boat, with some great pictures. No Sitka chit seen anywhere on the horizon back then. Brown Camo ruled.
don novicki

Postby Darren » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:34 am

Rick wrote:
don novicki wrote:I had 20 years of Wildfowl and another 10 years of Gun Dog magazines that I tried and tried to get rid of on various web sites. I offered them up for shipping only, any quantity, and I got zero takers over three different duck hunting sites. I guess no one is too interested in them...

My grandkids got lucky. During my expert phase I kept a collection of either the magazines I'd stuff in or, in many cases, at least the "tear sheets" thereof, which Hurricane Rita made a huge spitball of after she popped the top off my camp/office. Saved the kids the misery of trying to look interested in them.

Don, I did a fair bit for Stover Publishing (Wildfowl, GunDog and Wing and Shot), but I wouldn't pay the postage to see any of it again, either.

Been keeping some of my own stuff on a shelf in office or at the camp here and there. Guess I'll (hopefully) always have the digital versions but seeing it in print is always neat.
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:40 am

Guess I'm just old fashion, but prefer print to digital. Really miss the morning local paper, whose print was recently discontinued, with my coffee, but do still have several sporting magazines coming each month. I try to keep a book open for a little while each day, usually in the mornings before work, and lately, have been reading a lot of Ruark's work. Other than the Old Man and the Boy, I never realized just how good of a writer he truly was.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:53 am

I’ve slowly let all of my subscriptions go over the years and have purged the leftovers over the course of a couple moves.

On the digital to print subject, I was transferring my hunt log notes from my phone to a physical journal this weekend and wondered aloud to my wife if any of my 3 kids would ever care to read them. Just in case, I made sure to put gps coordinates in there so that my kids and their kids can go hunt where their old man did if desired.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby PorkChop » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:28 pm

I definitely prefer the hardcopy. Can’t bring myself to read digital!
PorkChop

Postby Jimmy » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:54 am

PorkChop wrote:I definitely prefer the hardcopy. Can’t bring myself to read digital!

Hard copy is much easier on the throne and potentially far less expensive. The upside to digital is the ability to enlarge the text however who doesn't stare at a computer too much as it is. Hard copy for me anymore is pretty much books of interest and not magazines. No ad blocker feature!
Jimmy

Return to The Blind