Litterers

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Litterers

Postby OGblackcloud » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:50 am

Been my experience that bank fishermen are some of the worst around in the sporting world although I've seen some pretty bad stuff on the refuges as well from duck hunters .
OGblackcloud

Re: Litterers

Postby Deltaman » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:35 pm

Pretty damn amazing how little some people care, trashy bastards! Too bad they don't enforce litter laws like they should, and it is right up there with not enforcing texting while driving. Based on my observations, pretty sure 50+% of our population can't walk and chew gum, much less drive and text.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:43 pm

This crap really makes me angry. I pick up a lot of trash every year on a local refuge while driving around. There are dumpsters provided and they are easy yo find, so there is no reason for this to be happening. Miles of string used for crabbing tied to everything left dangling in the water. (insert angry face here)
DComeaux

Postby Jimmy » Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:15 pm

People do indeed suck.
Jimmy

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:48 pm

Saw a great variation on "No Littering" signs a while back: "Leave your trash, and you are trash." Might ought to become a common posting.
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:39 am

Yall aint seen shit.
The bee yard has been a target for littering since before we moved there in '77.
I've picked up countless whiskey bottles of various brands.
We find really weird shit too.
Stuff like someone's pants where they had a blowout and next to that a big assed dildo.
You have to wonder...that's some kinky bullshit right there.
We find syringes and fucking you name it like it's fucking San Francisco and get this...we get fined if we don't clean it up.
That's tyranny.
Second ammendment shit.

Last month a neighborhood group actually picked up for me.
They missed the pants and dildo I burned it.
Yeah the future is so bright I gotta wear shades.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Jimmy » Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:54 pm

So...kinda what your backyard looks like.
Jimmy

Postby uncle Jed » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:57 pm

Jimmy wrote:So...kinda what your backyard looks like.

the town dump!!
uncle Jed

Postby OGblackcloud » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:26 am

I couldn't stand what I saw the other day at the Mississippi River as far as litter and it was just eating me so this morning I went over and picked up what I could . Took 2 large trash bags with me filled them both and was lucky to find another there . 3 less bags for a minute as I'm sure by next weekend it will be back . Another piss me off item is you can tell they have kids with them so what a great example to set !
OGblackcloud

Postby Rick » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:43 am

OGblackcloud wrote:I couldn't stand what I saw the other day at the Mississippi River as far as litter and it was just eating me so this morning I went over and picked up what I could . Took 2 large trash bags with me filled them both and was lucky to find another there . 3 less bags for a minute as I'm sure by next weekend it will be back . Another piss me off item is you can tell they have kids with them so what a great example to set !

Those of us downstream thank you. Early on in my time down here, my first Chessie and I ran a hunt test below a Mississippi River overflow spillway with the most Styrofoam and other floating trash I'd ever seen in my life. Made me think Louisiana must be the trashiest state in the union until it occurred to me that I was looking at that of quite a few states. Not that we don't have more than our share of homegrown assholes.

Speaking of which and re: cleanup, I've been making 4-7 mile exercise rounds of our little town for decades, albeit no longer running them in my broke-knee dotage, and have always picked up the litter I'm passing any time I can see a trash container ahead. Don't know if passersby think I'm doing community service time or just trying to be a good citizen, but my motive's purely selfish: if I pick it up today, I won't have to think about the asshole who tossed it again tomorrow.
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:31 am

Like your thought process, Rick (and many of you above). Wife and I routinely pick up constantly after the bank fisherman down the street from the camp and marina in Shell Beach. "oh no problem, yea let me get that for you" as a trash can is merely a couple of feet away......blows our minds, and of course brings about a lot of anger.

Having traveled enough to realize that indeed the people of my own beloved state are some of the most inclined to just throw trash on the ground and/or in the water, I figure I may as well do my part here and there to counter it.

Just Saturday morning I was cruising false river to make another run to the landing for some more crickets, passed bottle and can after bottle and can along the way in middle of the waterway, presumably from cruisers the evening before?? Yep thats our people.

Grrrrrrr
Darren

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:15 am

Darren, you made me think of returning from an out of state trip, seeing an old couch and chair by the road just after crossing the state line and Sweet Chereaux dead-panning, "We're home."
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:38 am

Rick wrote:Darren, you made me think of returning from an out of state trip, seeing an old couch and chair by the road just after crossing the state line and Sweet Chereaux dead-panning, "We're home."

Whether it's the litter or the sweltering heat/humidity, you definitely know you're back home. I've honestly struggled with a lot of my own analysis on this front for a while, wife and I trying to figure what's best for us and our kids, and traveling to other places that are typically cleaner, among other advantages, brings a lot into question.

That said, keep coming back to "those are not my/our people," and its the people that makes places, complete with all of their faults or otherwise. I like visiting elsewhere, have met fine people around the world, but always glad to be home.
Darren

Return to The Blind