G&H decoys

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

G&H decoys

Postby don novicki » Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:31 pm

There is a nice post over on the Fuge from the new owners of G&H decoys about their company and plans on how they are doing their best to salvage the brand. It's a pretty nice post about what they have been through and where they plan to go from here. Say what you want about the brand,but I have 3 dozen B2 Bluebills that are a least 20 years old, have been abused, and haven't lost a speck of paint. The post states that they will always maintain production here in the U.S. which is nice. Not very often the owner of a business addresses his audience directly, and I think that"s a class move for sure. :thumbsup:
don novicki

Re: G&H decoys

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:55 pm

Very nice for sure. You said new owners. Did G&H recently change hands?
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:02 pm

to keep me from heading that way on the fuge, can you snippet it here for us all to see?

Just re-rigged a gadwall drake decoy of theirs that's long been part of the hodgepodge that is our field spread, paint and construction as sturdy as ever, still going to make the lineup despite our upcoming purges. :thumbsup:
Darren

Postby 5 stand » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:45 pm

I stole it, I hope it's okay... Here you go Darren...
Howdy, folks.
I'm the CEO of G&H and someone sent me this thread this morning. I wasn't a member of Refuge Forums, but I really enjoyed reading this thread so I made an account and figured I'd chime in.

There are a lot of interesting points in here, so it's tough to know where to begin. I'll start at the top:

1. DuckG died two years ago, and the company was going to be sold for scrap metal (literally) when our new ownership group stepped in to try and save it. In the past two years we've put an *immense* amount of work into resurrecting what was once the best decoy on the planet. It hasn't been easy. **** breaks. Supply chain problems are real. Our crew started with two employees and now numbers 27. We've expended real blood, sweat, and even some tears trying to turn on an 89 year old factory that had been all but forgotten.
2. Last year, our sole focus was just to make the product again, and return to the quality that made G&H great. We didn't innovate, or come up with anything new. In fact, we cut nearly a third of the products G&H made, because we weren't convinced they lived up to the reputation for quality that we wanted G&H to have. This meant that we had to go back to the old way of making decoys - thicker paint, more plastic, and better craftsmanship. We accomplished this - we sold a little more than 40,000 decoys last year, and we only had five boxes returned all year.
3. We heard the feedback that many of you have voiced in this thread - the old decoys worked great, but they needed to look better. What we offered last year was the stuff that was designed in the 60s. And these decoys looked like they were painted with a crayon. So we searched high and low for a decoy carver who was doing excellent work to modernize our look. We found this person in Luke Costilow out of Ohio. Luke is a 3rd generation carver and has won countless awards for his work. It's beautiful, without being complicated.
4. When we started to talk to Luke, we realized that getting new carvings to market in the USA would take at least two years. Each mold would cost us between $50k and $75K. We knew there was no way we were going to get new carvings to the market in 4 months. While looking at our decoys, Luke commented that they didn't look bad - they just needed an update and better detail. So that's exactly what Luke did. In 4 months, he turned around 24 new paint schemes, with custom mixed colors, and then taught all of those paint schemes to our staff. *Remember* we're making the product in the USA. When other decoy companies want a new product, they call China and someone in Shenzen sends them 12 new prototypes that they can pick from. They pick what they want, and then the decoys show up in a container a few months later. The cycle is MUCH longer for us, because we're doing 100% of the development, design, and manufacturing in the USA and we're very proud of this. When you buy our products, your dollar stays in the USA.
5. So the result is our new Premier Series. We think they're a massive improvement on what we offered last year (and for 89 years before that). The customer seems to think so, too. I'm looking at the current sales data, and 2023 is up 508.4% over last year. We're so thankful for the business!!
6. So why did we hire an excellent carver if all we did was change the paint? Because the paint is the first step in the process. Currently, Luke is working on new carvings and we'll have these available in future seasons. G&H wasn't built overnight. It took 89 years to get where we are today. We're aware of this, and committed to not screwing up what the Gazalski and Hutton families worked so hard for in the past. You all don't see G&H the way you see the other companies. We can tell from forums like this one, that you won't tolerate a crappy product from us. So give us a little patience while we work on the next generation of excellence here in Henryetta.
7. We hope you'll give the Premier Series a try. They look really sharp, and we're confident that even a newbie duck hunter can kill ducks over them. There are a lot of reasons for buying decoys. Some guys want to look cool at the boat ramp. Some guys want something new, every year. And some guys want a well-made product that looks great, that they don't have to replace every two seasons. We're here for that guy. The guy who takes his hunting seriously and appreciates a well-made product. He cares more about the birds and the season than what everyone else at the boat ramp is running. He probably works hard for his money, loves his country, and sends his momma flowers on her birthday. That's our guy. And if you're not him, that's fine! There are a ton of great decoys out there to choose from if your priorities are elsewhere. You can see all the decoys at http://www.ghdecoys.com. Oh and we are still making Supermag everything!
8. Stay with us for a couple of years. We're only growing and getting better. At the factory we have a saying - we're trying to be at least 2% better than we were yesterday. Watch us grow. There's a lot more coming.
9. We hope you'll come to the Oklahoma Waterfowl Festival in Henryetta on September 23rd. You can tour the factory and see what makes our products different.

Thanks for all the excellent feedback on here! You guys are great. See you in the marsh this fall!!

Ray Penny
5 stand

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:30 pm

Wow that is cool. I’m pretty set on Dakota packables from here on out till I quit my public land ways, but if I ever switch to a more permanent spread again, G&H will be the way I go. They hold up forever.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:48 pm

Worth a look for sure !!
OGblackcloud

Postby don novicki » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:13 pm

Thanks for posting that 5 stand. I'm not much of a computer guy.
don novicki

Postby 5 stand » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:16 pm

don novicki wrote:Thanks for posting that 5 stand. I'm not much of a computer guy.

:beer: :thumbsup:
5 stand

Postby 5 stand » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:37 pm

The more I think about it I'm glad you asked Darren, native is liable to see it as advertising and poof it will be gone(from the fuge)...
5 stand

Postby Jimmy » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:39 pm

Cool stuff for sure! Thanks.
Jimmy

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:05 am

That's fantastic, thanks so much for bringing over. Someone want to reach out to this fella and invite him over here to a nice safe place? Just a thought.
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:48 am

Love American Made...I will check them out when I order more decoys. Great story!
Ducaholic

Postby Darren » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:10 am

Ducaholic wrote:Love American Made...I will check them out when I order more decoys. Great story!

It's definitely a long term type product, no doubt, but those prices :shock:

Guess you just have to be willing to bite the bullet and bank on the longevity.

I mentioned that battle-tested gadwall decoy in prior post, paint still nearly flawless after who knows how many seasons in the rice (left out all season). I can also attest to durability of decoy and paint both with some pintail feeder butts I use in the marsh. Have been beaten on umpteen rough water boat rides, salt marsh, etc. and still nearly like new.

Link below:

https://www.ghdecoys.com/product/pf23-p ... eder-butt/
Darren

Postby Duck Engr » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:18 am

Yeah have to think they’re hurting themselves for selling more by them lasting so long, so I can see the higher cost up front.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Ducaholic » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:38 am

Darren wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:Love American Made...I will check them out when I order more decoys. Great story!

It's definitely a long term type product, no doubt, but those prices :shock:

Guess you just have to be willing to bite the bullet and bank on the longevity.

I took a peek and thought the same thing as you did in regards to the pricing. I also was disappointed that the premium's well were not premium from a looks perspective. There are better looking decoys out there with Avian X being what I have gone to with good luck in the last 7 or so years. The details they offer are unmatched IMO. Then I went back and read the piece on their long term plans and realized upgrades are coming. So for the time being I will stick with what I have until I see what the future holds for G&H. They hold a special place for me as they were the first two dozen of standard mallard decoys I received as a Christmas Gift circa 1975. One of the hens minus her keel sits in my living room. I wish them the best!
Ducaholic

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:05 am

Ducaholic wrote:...standard mallard decoys I received as a Christmas Gift circa 1975...

Perhaps the same vintage as the seven dozen G&Hs that made up my first spread: 2doz standard mallards, 3 doz oversized mallards, 1doz pintails and 1doz teal. The paint on the mallards was baked in or some-such that made it forever paint, but all of the standard ones eventually split where the sides met their bottoms and all oversized drakes split at their back seams and the keels broke off all of the oversized hens. Paint on the pintails and teal didn't hold up remotely as well, but I'm still using most of them today.

Called Dick G. about the mallards, and he offered to replace them, but shipping to and fro was more than I was willing to pay for replacements I didn't trust to hold up.
Rick

Postby don novicki » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:14 pm

There's a local guy with 2-1/2 dzn G&H Super Mags, for sale. My mind tells me to buy, but I had SM's for a number of years and they are no easy chore to get to the water if you have to hump em any distance. But then I think that I shouldn't be buying more stuff because I just gave away a bunch of gear to a couple younger guys. I could buy a dozen bills for 150.00. I don't know. :?:
don novicki

Postby Duck Engr » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:46 pm

Yeah if you’re toting decoys any distance, super mags aren’t the route to go!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Return to The Blind