Brood Numbers

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: Brood Numbers

Postby PorkChop » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:43 pm

North Dakota Duck Brood Numbers Jump Nearly 80%

State Game and Fish Department migratory game bird biologists expect a fall flight of ducks similar to 1998, 2004 and 2020. If those past seasons don’t ring a bell, the fall flight is anticipated to be about 23% above last year’s fall flight, based on observations from the annual mid-July duck production survey.According to Mike Szymanski, migratory game bird management supervisor, the department’s 76th annual breeding duck survey conducted in May indicated the 2023 duck index was the 23rd highest on record, up 1.5% from 2022, and exceeded the 1948-2022 average index by 39%.“After a very dry summer and fall last year, a snowy winter helped wetland conditions rebound nicely going into breeding season. However, precipitation has been spotty across the Prairie Pothole Region of the state since spring thaw, with the southern and central areas of the Missouri Coteau receiving more consistent rainfall,” Szymanski said. “Habitat conditions in uplands and wetlands were in good shape for a majority of the breeding season. A relatively strong number of ducks present in May helped to support breeding efforts that, despite a late thaw, were not delayed to a great degree.”The number of broods observed during the department’s July brood survey was up 79% from 2022, and 88% above the 1965-2022 average index. The average brood size was 6.5 ducklings, down 10% from 2022.While there remains a shortage of upland nesting habitat across the state, Szymanski said overwater nesting species such as canvasbacks, redheads and ring-necked ducks all set records for number of broods observed this year, along with ruddy ducks nearly breaking their previous record.Game and Fish biologists will conduct a separate survey in mid-September to assess wetland conditions heading into the waterfowl hunting season.
PorkChop

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:57 pm

It sounds promising
OGblackcloud

Postby 5 stand » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:16 pm

Right there within striking distance, hope you and your family have an awesome year...

PS... Send some through Western Arkansas/Eastern Oklahoma... :lol:
5 stand

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:52 pm

Interesting that average brood size was down but overall count was up. Many more successful hatches than the previous year. I was pretty fired up until I read it was mostly divers, which don’t frequent my area.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Deltaman » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:08 am

Nice to see a positive report, Thanks PC!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Darren » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:28 am

Also found at link below:

https://gf.nd.gov/news/6720
Darren

Postby PorkChop » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:03 pm

Duck Engr wrote:Interesting that average brood size was down but overall count was up. Many more successful hatches than the previous year. I was pretty fired up until I read it was mostly divers, which don’t frequent my area.

Before my area started to dry up, all the Broods I saw with the exception of maybe one or two were above their 6.5 average. Also there’s a few early goose season hunts from this year on YouTube and a few of them have ducks already coming into the decoys. That’s a good sign!

I will never claimed to be an expert and I am only in a small sample size of North Dakota but I am excited about this season. Wish we had more water as I really want to get those two fat boys out but at least I have three refuges by me that will hold the birds and I don’t have to worry about them getting jumped.

In other good news it sounds like the snow goose hatch was pretty good. Nothing like a good snow goose hunt mixed with mallards!
PorkChop

Postby Duck Engr » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:31 pm

I certainly appreciate the positive reports, localized or not it’s a lot better than we’d have otherwise way down here in the south.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:29 am

Duck Engr wrote:I certainly appreciate the positive reports, localized or not it’s a lot better than we’d have otherwise way down here in the south.

Yup, that ^
Darren

Return to The Blind