Quick Goose Hunt

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Quick Goose Hunt

Postby Deltaman » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:42 am

Got a call from a friend that has a small farm in Baldwin County last week, asking if I wanted to shoot some of the Canadian geese that had invaded one of his fields. He wasn't going to fool with them because he doesn't hunt waterfowl (and didn't have the required state and federal stamps, or steel shot). Gave him a Capital H to the yes, and started gathering a few decoys and some cover to hide in. Met my stepson and the farmer's nephew at his field Saturday morning before daylight, and set a few goose decoys in the field. Draped some cover (army surplus camo), along a fence row, along with a few stalks of bamboo, in what we hoped would be their flight path and waited. Thankfully, our choice of set up was spot on, and just after daylight, a big group of them came floating in right over us, not 20 yards high :o We managed to drop 7 of'em out of the group, and wanted to wait for more, but a fast approaching storm ran us out of the field. I've never been a big proponent of 3 1/2" shells, but I bought a box of Heavy Metal BB's for the occasion, and those things don't play :lol: On the funny side, I slapped what I thought was mosquitoes on my legs before daylight (was wearing shorts, so damn hot), and later realized they were fire ants, the bastages!!!!!! Took a few pics with my phone camera, but am unable to download for some reason.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: Quick Goose Hunt

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:52 am

Ain't nothin' to that goose thing.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:59 pm

ANTS!!!!!
DComeaux

Postby 5 stand » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:06 pm

Dang this slipped by, I'm going to blame it on traveling...
A hunt you'll remember for a long time, mighty fine...
Pictures or it didn't happen :lol: just messing with you Buddy... :beer:
5 stand

Postby Deltaman » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:00 am

I gave the kids most of the birds, but did keep one to eat. I've killed some of these big Canadians over the years, but always gave them to whomever I was hunting with, and now wish I would've given this one away too :lol:
I filleted the breast, cut the meat into small chunks and butterflied, then soaked them overnight in fridge, salted water to pull out some of the blood. Rinsed and did an overnight soak in fresh water, then stuffed with cream cheese, small slices of pineapple, and wrapped in bacon. Cooked them like duck bites on the grill, rare.........unsure what I was expecting, but that damn meat was tough :o Glad I cooked some sausage to go with it, and damn sure won't fool with trying to cook another one :lol:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Duck Engr » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:43 am

Hahaha yeah I shot one years ago. That was enough for me. Might as well eat a car tire.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:02 am

I don't have any problems with them being tough.

PXL_20230917_172401578.jpg

These are burger meet for chili, tacos, etc. I also make sausage and bologna. There's a butcher in the area that makes great sticks, but I am way too cheap to pay his prices, but happily take from others when they offer ;) I haven't found a good stick recipe.

I also take the leg quarters. Very tough. I used to put them in a crockpot until the meat falls off the bone. I have a pressure cooker and it does just about as good and as much quicker. I use them like pulled pork. Put on some barbecue sauce or put them in some spaghetti sauce and then over noodles or rice.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:27 am

In the "Way back when..." I made annual pilgrimages to Maryland's Eastern Shore, which was then Mecca for Canadas, every store and restaurant in that region had local cookbooks for sale by their cash registers, and every Canada recipe therein seemed to begin with pressure cooking or parboiling. Mom could make most come out of a browning bag much like roast beef, but the crock pot was my greatest ally

Breast fillets and legs were slow cooked in apple cider over night, then shredded and mixed with BBQ sauce and some of the broth before going back into the pot to simmer while we made a morning hunt. House smelled fantastic on our return, as were the sandwiches that followed.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:47 am

Good to know that there are methods to make them edible, and I was taken aback when the goose bites were so tough. They have always been rare here growing up, but the local golf course stock has gone pretty much unchecked for the last 10 years, and they are becoming a nuisance bird.
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Return to The Blind