Another Goose Hunt Down South

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Another Goose Hunt Down South

Postby Deltaman » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:08 am

Got another call from my friend that farms, telling me those pecky Canadian geese had shown back up, and asking if I wanted to hunt them again. Too easy (hunting a dry field, and pretty foreign to me), to pass up, so we invited two others and made plans for a daylight hunt Sunday (yesterday). Set up in some cover along a fence line bordering the field they were using, in what we hoped would be their flight path, well before daylight. Put just two decoys in the field to get their attention, hoping to keep prying eyes off of us. Was wondering if it was gonna be a bust when sunrise came and went, and we hadn't seen anything........but then we heard some, and saw them in the distance, headed our way. They came in what seemed like waves, and for the next 25 minutes, it was goose pandemonium :o By 6:15, we were gathering birds and picking up empty hulls. One of the guys our party almost got taken out with a falling bird, and it got everybody's attention :lol: Those things make make one helluva thump when they hit dry ground! Ended up with 18 birds, two shy of our early goose limit, and I'd guess close to 200 lbs of gooses :o . Sent two of them home to an in-law that had requested them, and the rest went home with my stepson, to be ground up for sausage and jerky. We haven't shot any teal this year, and were glad to be able to fill the gap with some of those big birds.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: Another Goose Hunt Down South

Postby Deltaman » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:10 am

Was 7:15 a.m. when we picked up birds, not 6:15 :shock:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:13 am

Gllad they showed for you. No desire to ever kill another, but still enjoy seeing and hearing them drop in on my morning circuit by the lake.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:23 am

Deltaman wrote:Those things make make one helluva thump when they hit dry ground!

A 12 pound bird dropping like a rock from 100 feet in the air. They definitely could do some damage. :shock:

Never had any really close calls, but I have been in awe at how hard some of them have hit the ground or water. One of my motion decoys isn't a motion decoy any more :lol:

Awesome hunt. :thumbsup:
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:16 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
Deltaman wrote:Those things make make one helluva thump when they hit dry ground!

A 12 pound bird dropping like a rock from 100 feet in the air. They definitely could do some damage. :shock:

In the "way back when..." I made pilgrimages to Maryland's Eastern Shore, I ran into a fellow at Alexander's Plucking Palace with his nose all over his face, two black eyes and glasses held together with white medical tape. Turned out his buddy hit a goose he'd not seen falling that hit the back of his head and drove his face into the front rail of their cedar box blind.

'Course that was around 1980, when most Eastern Shore Canadas were little 8lb migrants and guides were still excited to see one of the big "747s". So maybe he was lucky...
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:46 am

Like a falling sack of taters :lol:
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby 5 stand » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:20 pm

What a fine hunt... :thumbsup:
5 stand

Postby PorkChop » Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:15 pm

Sounds like a fantastic hunt!!! You’re definitely making it sound easy ha ha. Getting ready to head out the door for the first duck hunt of the season. Everything is so muddy that I’m not sure which field to pick but I need to make a decision here real quick. Vinny will be home from work in an hour and then we are on our way
PorkChop

Postby don novicki » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:00 am

I love it when the birds cooperate. Congrats on a great hunt. :thumbsup:
don novicki

Return to The Blind