Armadilla Zilla

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Armadilla Zilla

Postby Deltaman » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:33 am

Have armadillo's tear up my yard from time to time, and bought a couple of traps from Tractor Supply. No way to bait them that I know of, so I use a "funnel" so to speak. I have caught and removed 8-10 over the last two years, and two weeks ago, I started trying to trap a new one. I've temporarily caught him 3 times, and all three times, he has bent the damn door on the trap and gotten out :o Hoping a better quality trap from Havahart will make a difference, and I ordered one today. I am still amazed that it had the strength to bend the trap door out enough to release itself, WTH!!!! Anybody else had to deal with them?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Armadilla Zilla

Postby Duck Engr » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:27 pm

A Hulk armadillo! Never had to trap but only time I dealt with them was as a kid when we had them under our shed. One rainy afternoon there were 4 out in the yard and dad turned me loose with his old sears and roebuck .22 rifle. I killed 3 but winged the 4th and he came running right at me. I thought dad was going to pass out from laughing so hard as I was high stepping backwards and shooting at the armadillo at the same time. Managed to keep both my feet and all my toes in tact.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Re: Armadilla Zilla

Postby DComeaux » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:58 pm

Never tried trapping those. I just punt them out the yard.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:57 am

Needs to gets you one of those Chestapeek dogs. My first would pop them. Still remember coming back from a training session to a partner's house after he'd done so and his wife being freaked by all the blood on him until Frog told her it was an armadillo's. Karen responded that she thought they were hard, to which Frog replied, "Not hard enough."

Was funny, too, when the same dog had just popped another in the yard of the place I had out by the camp just before the UPS truck pulled up with a delivery. Driver started to step out, saw blood-soaked Bud looking him over, jumped back in and drove on to the camp office, where he left the package and word that future ones would go there, too.

But they, and all fur, have been off-limits to my guys since my move to town. Don't want a chase leading them onto our busy road.

Have heard wooden traps help encourage them to explore to their demise, but have never seen one.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:26 am

New Havahart trap arrived yesterday, and is now in place. Hoping "Made in the USA" makes a difference, but we shall see :lol:
If not, I will be googling wooden trap construction!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:50 am

Have never had anything escape a Havahart, but never caught a mini-dillo, let alone a Dillozilla, in one...
Rick

Postby Bud » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:21 pm

How about an Amarillo-zillo?
All in a day's work.
Bud

Postby Rick » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:14 am

Bud wrote:How about an Amarillo-zillo?

A slippery slope to Camarillo Brillo...
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:34 am

I'd prefer to call the bastage GONE, yet he persists in his yard terror :( I'm guessing that since he was fooled 3 times with the trap, and busted out each time, he may have learned from his experience. No luck yet with the new Havahart, but hopeful it's dumb enough to have forgotten :lol:
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:41 am

I'm guessing that the lure of wood traps is the dark hole they create, so you may want to try covering the wire trap to simulate that.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:06 pm

hmmmm, makes perfect sense Rick!
I'll give'r whirl with some sort of cover, sure can't hurt!
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Return to The Blind