Saving money...kinda

Anything related to home improvement, home repair, homesteading, farm and garden.

Saving money...kinda

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:39 pm

Well this forum hasn't gotten much attention lately so I figured I would start posting some things I've done around the house to try and save some money.

First,
Last year I decided I wanted to build a wood boiler to heat my house since I have access to wood anyways.
I ended up building it in my garage and piped it into my current system in the house(Munchkin HE hydronic)
I looked at a few different designs and decided to mesh a few together. It was originally supposed to hold
around 200 gallons of water, but it ended up holding about 380. Fire box is 30"Wx30"Hx36"D. Cost about $1200
from start to finish for all the materials but I am sure I could cut it down a few hundred shopping around for used and scrap.
I ended up using all new steel and pumps, etc.

Heats my garage and house on about 7 cord a year, maybe more this year if it's cold, but I have plenty. Fill it twice a day unless I'm home cleaning up and burning the evidence :D
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Re: Saving money...kinda

Postby Olly » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:44 pm

Thsts pretty cool, I've always said if I owned a home in a part of the country that saw a real winter I'd want to heat with wood.

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:59 pm

Olly wrote:Thsts pretty cool, I've always said if I owned a home in a part of the country that saw a real winter I'd want to heat with wood.

Sent using Tapatalk

I live in a city, a very small city, but still within limits. It's technically not legal in the city if it was outdoors, but since it is in my garage heating it, they allowed it. Still kinda illegal how it is set up right now. The chimney pipe is below the peak and it is supposed to be 2ft above.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:22 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
Olly wrote:Thsts pretty cool, I've always said if I owned a home in a part of the country that saw a real winter I'd want to heat with wood.

Sent using Tapatalk

I live in a city, a very small city, but still within limits. It's technically not legal in the city if it was outdoors, but since it is in my garage heating it, they allowed it. Still kinda illegal how it is set up right now. The chimney pipe is below the peak and it is supposed to be 2ft above.

It's not a problem until you get hurt or the house catches fire and want to collect on the insurance. All you need to do it make the chimney 2' above the tallest peak on your roof. Do it and post a picture here to cover your A. :thumbsup:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby flight control » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:05 am

The rule here is two feet above anything within ten feet of the chimney.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:42 am

flight control wrote:The rule here is two feet above anything within ten feet of the chimney.

Same here flight.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Return to Home Improvement and Farm & Garden